Top Shelf Aquatics

Start of my Minicompletetank (cunzo mini aquarium)

PNWCustomAIO

PNWCustomAIO

Hey guys, I recently stumbled across the minicompletetank and had to have one. They are just so cool! 

I grabbed some rock from my sump in my larger tank, took out a handful of cycled media (kent nitrogen sponge and some carbon), and about a half gallon of water. Set it up a few days ago and have been enjoying watching it come together. After seeing a few people do some modifications, I decided to follow suit and make my mini tank better than ever. I started by changing the return baffle set up. I cut the stock baffle in half at the cut outs, and placed some silicon onto the sides of it to keep it in place. This acts as a surface skimmer before going into the sump. The next modification I did to this tank, was to get more flow through it. I took a pen, used a heat gun to get the plastic soft, bent it to 90°, and made a duck bill for the end. This dramatically increased the flow rate inside the tank. 

I purchased a 5w flat heater for a betta tank at petco for $9 and hooked it up to a spare heater controller I had. Assembled everything back up, and its now running better than ever. 

For waterchanges and to clean the sandbed I use a turkey baster. Pretty dang easy. 

Soon I need to look into a lighting upgrade that fits suit, and I've seen a canopy set up id really like to get made. A local glassblower has taken the task of helping me update my tube as well, so It will be safer for the reef. 

I'm pretty happy with how its set up, and I may soon look into an auto top off system to build for it. For now, im enjoying seeing my sexy shrimp out and about.

received_1003072886789622.jpeg

20200815_142818.jpg

20200815_135038.jpg

20200811_204000.jpg

received_2713355052319079.jpeg

• Like 7
Chriss Fishes

Love these little tanks! I just don't know what I would do with one. I think it'd be fun to attempt something only traditionally done on a very large scale (I.E. a true seagrass tank) in one, but I've got enough projects as it is.

Looking forward to following the build!

• Like 2
PNWCustomAIO

I figured it would be fun for shizz and giggles. Have a couple other larger tanks set up, and when I saw the mini tank I had to have it. 

Update as of Monday 8/17

I took the rim off and created a "Floating" light. While doing this, I also did the full power mod so I could put the tank on a timer. I also used a bit of silicone to hold the cords in the little cut outs. This helps reduce salt creep. 

My next mod will be to set up an Auto top off system. 

Hoping to frag some corals this week and fill it up with more color. Might also grab another sexy shrimp. 

Having a lot of fun with this little guy. 

20200817_200108.jpg

• Like 2
PNWCustomAIO

Update as of Wednesday 8/19/20

Today I got a few corals fragged and put some in my mini tank display. I did a water change from my main display, and glued my frags up. Can't wait to see them all open up in the next couple days. 

I also decided that I was over the cord that plugs into the light. Such a small tank makes an external wire look so big. I cut a hole in my stock light, slid my cord inside, and flipped around the board. Makes it look much more sleek this way. Almost like a floating light. 

Having a lot of fun, I recommend any experienced reefer to challenge themselves with this! 

20200819_192519.jpg

20200819_192513.jpg

Screenshot_20200819-211638_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...