Cultivated Reef

KP Aquatics?

DSA65PRO

Just got an out of the blue, email from them. They have some interesting stuff. Has anyone used them? I noticed they use the USPS, recently I’ve had some difficulty in timely deliveries. 

KP is a distributor with an online "storefront" and I believe @billygoat has gotten more than one order they've been quite satisfied with if you want to look up their buildthread.

Otherwise the current uhm... "Situation" involving funding and leadership has rendered the US postal service somewhat unreliable, however two day and the like seem to still be mostly-functional for now.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

Just got an out of the blue, email from them. They have some interesting stuff. Has anyone used them? I noticed they use the USPS, recently I’ve had some difficulty in timely deliveries. 

They are great and have been around a long time. They use to be called sea life inc. I've ordered from them quite a few times over years and never had an issue.

• Like 1

I really like KP.  They sell things they catch locally, so their stock is pretty variable and they don't sell anything high end with a fancy name.  They do pick up some really interesting things I don't often see elsewhere.  I ordered from them maybe 3 years ago now, mostly gorgonians and zoas, and they were all healthy, generous frags.  I still have all of the gorgs from them, despite a tank move, followed by a tank overheat, followed by a tank upgrade. 

With the postal situation, I think I'd hold off for a while though.  I had two orders from Reef Cleaners this spring that USPS took their sweet time kicking around, resulting in a bunch of deaths.  And that was before stuff really started going sideways with the post office...  However, if things get back to normal I'd go for it.  

Oh, I'd also do a bit of googling before buying inverts labeled "nano."  I get the impression they sometimes say "nano" based on the size at the time of shipping, not the requirements of a full grown specimen. 

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, the "nano" thing is a good note. Some of the stuff they sell in that category will get kinda big. I'm not a fan of that labeling. Though I guess if a gorgonian gets too big, you can just prune it down.

I personally haven't had any issues with things shipped 1-day or 2-day, not yet this year. Best to order just hardy livestock, though, especially since USPS is kinda having some worse problems right now. Did not think I would have to watch the USPS be possibly defunded until it completely goes bankrupt. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, yeah, the "nano" thing is a good note. Some of the stuff they sell in that category will get kinda big. I'm not a fan of that labeling. Though I guess if a gorgonian gets too big, you can just prune it down.

I personally haven't had any issues with things shipped 1-day or 2-day, not yet this year. Best to order just hardy livestock, though, especially since USPS is kinda having some worse problems right now. Did not think I would have to watch the USPS be possibly defunded until it completely goes bankrupt. 

To be fair, it was intended to deliver mail, not to turn a profit. America is just very backwards /shrug.

• Like 3

I ordered some ninja sea star snails from them last year.  When I received the order one of the snails was dead in the bag and the water was really cloudy.  I went ahead and added the snails that were still alive to my tank and all of them died within the next 4 days.  Phillip gave me store credit for 1/2 of my order cost (not including the shipping fee I paid).  I've never placed another order since.  I was very unhappy with my experience with them.

Reefcleaners is my go to for snails now.  John is always helpful and very easy to work with if there is ever an issue with an order.

• Sad 1

I just got an order of dwarf pipefish from them, they sent one extra and all of them arrived quickly and in perfect health (you can see pics in my tank journal)

I was very happy with them, they shipped promptly and packaged well, I plan on ordering some dwarf seahorses from them soon as well

• Like 1