Cultivated Reef

How long does your cleaner shrimp hide when molting, if at all?

Brewer

Hey i got a couple cleaner shrimp. Paired. The smaller one molted and i have not seen him for about five days. 

I dont think any thing in the tank would eat him, all too small. One long nose hawkfish could be a killer, but it would have been a massive mouthful.

??

From my experience with a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, their molting only takes a day (if even that). Have you seen the other cleaner shrimp out and about? I'm assuming no shrimp molts have been seen yet either. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

My skunk and fire shrimp are out and about right after molting and before molting.  Can’t even tell besides the molt stuck to the mp40 haha.

• Like 1

I would suspect your hawkfish, at this point. They can be really aggressive shrimp eaters, even when the shrimp is big compared to them. What are their relative sizes? 

• Like 1

The other cleaner shrimp is fine. Probably right that the hawkfish got an relatively expensive snack!  He's on my list now. Lol!

Such as this hobby goes... 

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully the bigger cleaner shrimp will hold his own. I dont see aggression towards him.