Cultivated Reef

New clownfish swimming vertically

Zoë79

So purchased a sebae clownfish today - at the breeders seemed fine - on the way home was lying on its side in the bag when still - with bag movement swam around seemed strong - called when I got home to breeder - perked up in bowl during drip line some but still lying down breathing heavy - added to tank after 1.5 hours drip line, equal salinity and temp - has been moving strong seemingly but still mostly swimming vertically - like 90 degrees vertically - for the most part - moving around lots - even ate - what could this be? 

Doesn’t seem to be checking new space - I thought maybe that - moving from space to space and stopping swimming vertically a long time and seems to be physically struggling but not breathing heavy so am not so sure it’s stress from move - any ideas?

Not out in the open - sheltered a bit - moving around normally it seems pretty regularly but will stop somewhere and be vertical seeming to be working hard at it - normal breathing for long periods of time - ?

Chriss Fishes

I've had several different types of clowns, and they all have their quirks. Not saying that what you're saying is definitely normal, but each individual seems to have it's own tendencies, more so than most other fish.

That said, swimming vertically seems like a possible swim bladder issue. Perhaps it was a pre-existing condition that was made worse due to stress, or maybe there was damage done to it during netting/coming home. Or, possibly the protein-heavy diet some breeders feed for growth has caused constipation, and it just needs some veggies in it's diet. Could be all of these things - the diet issue is easily fixed. A truly damaged swim bladder... unless it heals (and to be honest, they tend not to IME) will usually kill the fish, or impact its' quality of life in an extremely negative way.

I'd give it time. It could just be living up to its' name - a clown.

Of course - I know clowns can be odd - they earn their name for sure - but this seems like a physical issue - update - still alive and seeming strong but still swimming like that - I guess time will tell on this - thanks everyone 

Probably not related but 1.5 hour drip is crazy excessive to me. If salinity matched I just float and release. If it is off by a few points I add a cup of water every so often and try to have them in in about 30min. If it is wayyy off then I match a QT tank to their bag water and bring it up over a few days.

It's really stressful to sit in that bag longer than needed. 10+ years and I can't think of a fish I lost from an acclimation issue. 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Probably not related but 1.5 hour drip is crazy excessive to me. If salinity matched I just float and release. If it is off by a few points I add a cup of water every so often and try to have them in in about 30min. If it is wayyy off then I match a QT tank to their bag water and bring it up over a few days.

It's really stressful to sit in that bag longer than needed. 10+ years and I can't think of a fish I lost from an acclimation issue. 

Agreed. With most fish, I just temp acclimate unless I know the store they're coming from keeps them in low salinity. Never had an issue.