Cultivated Reef

People dosing vinegar

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Hi all. I’m following the attached protocol to dose vinegar per my ghl doser. My question is how many of you split up the doses and to what extent. 
right now I’m doing 2x9.2mL (18.4mL total) per day but I’m curious on if it’s better for pumps or the effectiveness if I dose 4-6 times per day) 

just curious on how others are doing it. 

3768E377-240A-417E-8B35-AC6455117953.jpeg

TerraIncognita
59 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Hi all. I’m following the attached protocol to dose vinegar per my ghl doser. My question is how many of you split up the doses and to what extent. 
right now I’m doing 2x9.2mL (18.4mL total) per day but I’m curious on if it’s better for pumps or the effectiveness if I dose 4-6 times per day) 

just curious on how others are doing it. 

3768E377-240A-417E-8B35-AC6455117953.jpeg

What're you dosing vinegar for? I've never done this, but if it's for a specific reason maybe someone else who's had that problem has a solution that worked for them you can try if you're unconfident with your vinegar studies.

TheKleinReef
25 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

What're you dosing vinegar for? I've never done this, but if it's for a specific reason maybe someone else who's had that problem has a solution that worked for them you can try if you're unconfident with your vinegar studies.

it's carbon dosing, similar to vodka, vitamin C, bio pellets, etc.

not so much about confidence with dosing it. more curiosity on dosing frequency. I can't find too much on frequency. I've been using vinegar on this tank for 4 months, and on my 65g for 5 years.

I split the dosing up into 4 doses on the 65, but I'm only doing 2 doses on it now.

• Like 1

In theory, smaller, more frequent dosing should enable a stable and constant supply of carbon for bacterial growth. 

In practice, I haven't found too much of a difference. I've experimented with 1 to 24 dosing frequencies and found no practical impact. Depending on your doser, it might be more beneficial to run less, larger doses than smaller, frequent doses (I believe some dosing units are more accurate with larger volumes vs smaller volumes). 

• Like 2
TheKleinReef
7 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

In theory, smaller, more frequent dosing should enable a stable and constant supply of carbon for bacterial growth. 

In practice, I haven't found too much of a difference. I've experimented with 1 to 24 dosing frequencies and found no practical impact. Depending on your doser, it might be more beneficial to run less, larger doses than smaller, frequent doses (I believe some dosing units are more accurate with larger volumes vs smaller volumes). 

Awesome, thanks so much. I’ll probably Just leave the dosages is at 2 per day then 

With such small amounts I doubt that it matters a lot.  If the dose was large, then breaking it up would be very sensible.  

(Careful with the carbon dosing.  👍)

TheKleinReef
On 8/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, mcarroll said:

With such small amounts I doubt that it matters a lot.  If the dose was large, then breaking it up would be very sensible.  

(Careful with the carbon dosing.  👍)

Not new to it, but yeah it's something you have to start super slow with.

i'll cap out at 66-70mL probably.

TheKleinReef
On 8/16/2020 at 8:52 AM, DSA65PRO said:

Could you use a Lab Pipette with the Valve on it to dose? That would give you a drip rate. 

I had the wrong name for the labware, this it below.

Glass Burette

I dk why I would need to drip dose it, since I have a GHL doser already. Monitoring another dosing method isn't something I want to do unless I start getting lazy with zeovit stuff.

• 2 months later...

I hand dose KZ Zeovit

And it uses vinegar to feed the bacteria

And it's dosed drops per day

Not MLs per day, iirc it's 20 drops to an ml(may be 30)

You must have a large tank