Coral Vue Hydros

My New Mantis Shrimp(gonodactylus platysoma)

Thefishgolfer

Thefishgolfer

Will my mantis shrimp eat whelks??? those are very abundant were I live like I'm talking 100 every square foot. Those would be very comfortable for me to feed him at least for a treat. I could even crack the shells for him if they're too hard.

Btw, they're very small perfect for my mantis shrimp

NoOneLikesADryTang
38 minutes ago, Thefishgolfer said:

Will my mantis shrimp eat whelks??? those are very abundant were I live like I'm talking 100 every square foot. Those would be very comfortable for me to feed him at least for a treat. I could even crack the shells for him if they're too hard.

Where do you live? It’s definitely worth trying. I might throw a couple in, alive and uncracked and see if it’ll eat it. 

Thefishgolfer
50 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Where do you live? It’s definitely worth trying. I might throw a couple in, alive and uncracked and see if it’ll eat it. 

Maybe in the next week or so I'll throw in some uncracked/ cracked whelks.

Thefishgolfer
5 hours ago, Tired said:

Make sure they're legal to collect. A lot of places have laws about collecting animals that live in seashells. 

ik, They're completely legal to collected at non-marine preserves

Thefishgolfer

So.... Beaches are closed because of the virus so I can't get any whelks. I also noticed him chilling with the cardinal fish in his hole. Is this a form of symbiosis?? or????

NoOneLikesADryTang

He may just be checking him out. Or it could mean he’s waiting for an opportunity to strike. I just posted a video on my build thread (rock flower mantis tank) yesterday of our mantis just scoping out a feeder molly we had put in there. 

Do they have multiple places to hide? I would worry about the shrimp getting startled by the fish at night and smacking it, and I wonder why the clownfish is in there instead of elsewhere. 

Thefishgolfer

SUCCESS!!!, I finally got him to eat frozen food from a skewer. I think he was holding off but just yesterday he gave in. He ate a piece of frozen shrimp and a piece of frozen mackerel. Hopefully he eats it again.

• Like 2

Nice! I'm sure he'll eat again, mantises are smart. Now that he knows there's food available that way, shouldn't be much chance of him forgetting. The only trick will be figuring out how often he wants to eat, and how much at a time.

• Like 1
Thefishgolfer
5 minutes ago, Tired said:

Nice! I'm sure he'll eat again, mantises are smart. Now that he knows there's food available that way, shouldn't be much chance of him forgetting. The only trick will be figuring out how often he wants to eat, and how much at a time.

I won't feed him too much but maybe like 3-4 times a week.

NoOneLikesADryTang
3 minutes ago, Thefishgolfer said:

I won't feed him too much but maybe like 3-4 times a week.

That might even be too much. Mine usually only wants to eat a time or two per week. Sometimes even less if she just hunts for her own food. I’ve thawed a lot of clams in a half shell, that she refuses. Thankfully, we have gorilla crabs that aren’t picky. 

I never fed mine more than twice a week and just made sure there was a plethora of different species of snails and some hermits crabs in the tank.

They are definitely smarter than people think.

Thefishgolfer

I'll get some cleaners that I'm ok with dying to help with breaking down the waste of whatever he doesn't eat. I'll feed him twice a week or once just like you guys feed yours. Also, Thank You for all the help once again 

• Like 1
Thefishgolfer
28 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You’re welcome.

I'm always happy to help share my experiences. 

🤪😁🤗 

• 1 month later...
Thefishgolfer

UPDATE:

So I think he is finally nearing his first molt since I got him. He has stopped eating for about a week now.  Any tips for molts of these fellas?