Thefishgolfer

My New Mantis Shrimp(gonodactylus platysoma)

Snow_Phoenix
2 minutes ago, Thefishgolfer said:

Yes they are☺️

This was my previous platysoma, Morpheus: 

FB_IMG_1597226200476.thumb.jpg.78cdfa1bbbb537623c8affd6712874d4.jpg

FB_IMG_1597226184562.thumb.jpg.bfdf947f45110ba7976d3dd8c90edabe.jpg

FB_IMG_1597226192026.thumb.jpg.eeb0814d6980694fcbf9e7e1ed41c69d.jpg

Sold as a 'peacock mantis'. 😅

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Thefishgolfer
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

This was my previous platysoma, Morpheus: 

FB_IMG_1597226200476.thumb.jpg.78cdfa1bbbb537623c8affd6712874d4.jpg

FB_IMG_1597226184562.thumb.jpg.bfdf947f45110ba7976d3dd8c90edabe.jpg

FB_IMG_1597226192026.thumb.jpg.eeb0814d6980694fcbf9e7e1ed41c69d.jpg

Sold as a 'peacock mantis'. 😅

Totally looks like a "peacock" 😂😂😂😂. Jokes aside, He looks beautiful even better then mine. I think mines a little more dull.

Tired

For future reference, ocean water doesn't actually help the cycle much. The bacteria lives on the rock, not in the water. I would keep a very close eye on your parameters- dry rock to large shrimp in 3 weeks is pretty fast. 

• Like 1

mndfreeze

That's way too fast for a cycle 😞  Keep a  super close eye on those water params.  Some mantid's are not very hardy to changing conditions.  

It took mine about a month before he would accept food on a skewer. I just kept trying until he eventually learned.

Thefishgolfer

On 8/13/2020 at 1:32 AM, mndfreeze said:

That's way too fast for a cycle 😞  Keep a  super close eye on those water params.  Some mantid's are not very hardy to changing conditions.  

It took mine about a month before he would accept food on a skewer. I just kept trying until he eventually learned.

The rock was from another tank I have(30 gallon) that I've had for about 3 years now. Checked the water parameters and they were fine, and none of the fish and mantis shrimp showed signs of stress Btw, my other aquarium has a clownfish(clarkia), a toby(blue spot), a tang I do not know the species of( My LFS said he was gonna grow up to be a black long nose tang), and a really small triggerfish(Picasso), and a huge damselfish(humbug). Also, I got a small toby for the mantis shrimp tank. I tried to put it with the other toby in the 30 gallon but, they wouldn't dare to be friendly.

Tired

Don't put the toby in there. They pick at invertebrates, even ones too big for them to eat. It might take an eye off the mantis.

Your other tank is far too small for those fish. Tangs grow large and are very active, triggerfish get huge and are aggressive towards each other. You need to rehome those fish before they start to suffer from the small tank. 

Thefishgolfer
42 minutes ago, Tired said:

Don't put the toby in there. They pick at invertebrates, even ones too big for them to eat. It might take an eye off the mantis.

Your other tank is far too small for those fish. Tangs grow large and are very active, triggerfish get huge and are aggressive towards each other. You need to rehome those fish before they start to suffer from the small tank. 

No need to worry I will rehome them soon. The triggerfish is around the size of my thumb or smaller. The tang I will rehome soon, my friend has been asking for it for quite some time. The toby is temporary for now and is very very small and doesn't dare to go near the mantis shrimp. I have seen him try to steal food from the mantis but that was the closest he got. I will still try to introduce it to the other toby but if the toby doesn't accept, I will have to rehome. My friend is also a fellow diver and an aquarium enthusiast and has around 10 tanks in his house. Im sure they'll be fine at his house. I've met him for nearly 7 years so he is a good friend of mine

Thefishgolfer

Quick question, will my mantis shrimp eat anything cooked as for instance, boiled Clams????

mndfreeze

You shouldn't feed it cooked stuff.  Will it? possibly, but you shouldn't.  

Tired

It's unlikely to, but might. One or two cooked items won't hurt it (as long as there's no seasoning), but it's a bad idea long-term, as cooking breaks down some of the nutrients we need.

Cooked stuff is important for humans because it makes it easier for us to digest our food. The invention of cooking is thought to be one of the factors in our increase in intelligence. But it's not good for other animals, as a general rule. A lot of other animals need their whole prey item, too, including the guts we don't eat for sanitary reasons. 

Thefishgolfer
3 hours ago, Tired said:

It's unlikely to, but might. One or two cooked items won't hurt it (as long as there's no seasoning), but it's a bad idea long-term, as cooking breaks down some of the nutrients we need.

Cooked stuff is important for humans because it makes it easier for us to digest our food. The invention of cooking is thought to be one of the factors in our increase in intelligence. But it's not good for other animals, as a general rule. A lot of other animals need their whole prey item, too, including the guts we don't eat for sanitary reasons. 

Thanks, but will he eat pieces of frozen octopus? I have those and want to try feeding him it but want to know if it's fine?

mndfreeze

If its raw he might.  My ternatensis is a smasher but ate no problem eating silverside fish that I cut into pieces.

Thefishgolfer
5 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

If its raw he might.  My ternatensis is a smasher but ate no problem eating silverside fish that I cut into pieces.

How about this, will the mantis shrimp eat feeder fish at my LFS which just got a shipment of feeder fish(guppys) that are dead/alive????

Tired

Smashers usually don't go after live fish. If a smasher is eating fish, it's usually because it's being presented with a dead piece of fish, and has learned to take dead food. 

• Like 1

Thefishgolfer

So I tried feeding it pieces of fish (mackerel) and it looked like he wanted it. I would shake it and he would be interested and try to grab it. All of sudden he would shoot back into his hole and hide????? Any suggestions??

Cole.mormon

Give him some cheap marherita or turbo snails

Thefishgolfer
On 8/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, Cole.mormon said:

Give him some cheap marherita or turbo snails

I tried but he hasn't touched them at all. 😭

Cole.mormon

How big is the tank

Thefishgolfer
On 8/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, Cole.mormon said:

How big is the tank

It is a wide 12 gallon and currently have only a cardinal fish with it.

Cole.mormon

Try to upgrade to a 20 or 29 long if possible

Maybe also a bigger cave.

Cole.mormon

But be damn well careful w the shrimp it can split a finger, to catch it you'll want a heavy duty net

Thefishgolfer
1 hour ago, Cole.mormon said:

But be damn well careful w the shrimp it can split a finger, to catch it you'll want a heavy duty net

I can get a tank maybe by next month or so but his tank is probably enough for him because he is barely 3 cm.

Cole.mormon

You'll maybe want a 20 long w a 2to3 in sandbed and a large cave in the corner

Tired

Yeah, I don't think the tank size is the problem right now. He should probably have an upgrade in future, but don't worry about it right now, not while he's a little guy. Just make sure you get a tank by the time he's big. 

Don't worry too much about him feeding. If he has snails and whatnot in the tank to eat, he'll keep himself from starving. 

• Like 1

NoOneLikesADryTang

The tank size isn’t the problem, especially for such a small invertebrate. 

We have a G Ternatensis, and put some Molly’s in the tank about a month ago, and she ate the first batch very quickly, but we’ve had one in the tank with her for the last two weeks and hasn’t bothered it. They are opportunistic hunters, and given a chance, and if they’re hungry enough, they’ll eat live fish. 

Smashers typically like snails and hermits. Our G Ternatensis wiped out every clean up crew in our tank, except for one Mexican turbo snail (we jokingly named it Lucky). She will also usually take frozen clams in a half shell. I moved over three astrea snails from one of our other tanks last weekend, and she’s killed/eaten two of the three so far. She also took a clam on Thursday... We usually feed her 2 or 3 times a week, if there isn’t any clean up crew in the tank. Sometimes she wants food, and sometimes she doesn’t. I wouldn’t worry about it too much - it’ll eat when hungry. In the mean time, I’d put some clean up crew for it to choose from, in case it gets hungry. 

• Like 1