Thefishgolfer

My New Mantis Shrimp(gonodactylus platysoma)

Thefishgolfer

I need some suggestions as to what to feed my mantis shrimp. I just got him and I've seen him  eating some crabs but I wanted to see him hunt. Please write some suggestions

Tired

Honestly? I say food on a skewer. Like playing with a cat. There's some evidence that crustaceans (like crabs and shrimp) can feel pain, so I'm inclined to recommend against using them as live food. There's also the chance that they could damage your mantis- it happens sometimes, with predator/prey interactions. 

He'd probably go after clams, maybe snails. You could get some entertainingly loud whacking noises out of that. Train him to eat from tweezers, then wiggle a clam around in tweezers for him to chase after and smack? 

Thefishgolfer

Thanks man, Il try that next time. Im going to have to go buy some clams😆. Also will he eat blood worms? 

Snow_Phoenix
10 minutes ago, Thefishgolfer said:

Thanks man, Il try that next time. Im going to have to go buy some clams😆. Also will he eat blood worms? 

Most likely no. You can try chopped shrimp on the end of a forceps/bamboo skewer/chopsticks or even live feeder shrimp as well. 

Just make sure you don't overfeed him. Mantises have a nasty habit of storing excess food in their burrows, which will then rot and foul your water. 

Thefishgolfer

Ok, I'll try some shrimp and see if he'll accept it. Who knows🤔

• Like 1

mndfreeze

I used to feed my G. Ternatensis with a wood skewer and silversides, then once a week or 2 I'd go get him a cheapo fiddler crab from the LFS so he had some enrichment.  Some people are against live food and that's fine but IMO, mantis are a lot smarter than one would think and I feel hunting enrichment is important.

I also had to refresh my CUC fairly often, as he would pick them off when he wanted a snack.  Never in any amount that it was super costly or anything though.  Mine definitely had a preference for some snails over others, and seemed to ignore baby hermits.  

• Like 2

Matteo

Live food is also usually best as hand feeding makes them lazy. 

Let him hunt for sure 

mndfreeze

Definitely do not put anything invertebrate in with it unless you are OK with it getting a punch full of murder.  No clams, no fancy crabs, shrimp, snails and probably avoid fish too.  I had a hi fin goby with mine (I thought he was dead along with the his candy cane pistol for like a month before I got the mantis) and the survived much to my surprise, but I wouldn't risk it.  A cheapo fish would prob be ok, something you wouldn't be upset if it ended up being a meal like a cheap small damsel or something.

I miss my mantis.  One day I plan to get another.  Mine would come out of his cave and perch on a rock and watch the TV while I played video games or watched a movie.  He was pretty active and interactive.  Chased laser pointer too (sometimes).  Mine was a different species though and they vary quite a bit in personality.

Thefishgolfer
6 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Definitely do not put anything invertebrate in with it unless you are OK with it getting a punch full of murder.  No clams, no fancy crabs, shrimp, snails and probably avoid fish too.  I had a hi fin goby with mine (I thought he was dead along with the his candy cane pistol for like a month before I got the mantis) and the survived much to my surprise, but I wouldn't risk it.  A cheapo fish would prob be ok, something you wouldn't be upset if it ended up being a meal like a cheap small damsel or something.

I miss my mantis.  One day I plan to get another.  Mine would come out of his cave and perch on a rock and watch the TV while I played video games or watched a movie.  He was pretty active and interactive.  Chased laser pointer too (sometimes).  Mine was a different species though and they vary quite a bit in personality.

Update: I tried giving him some shrimp on a skewer but, he would only stare at it he didn't really move at all. It might be because he isn't as hungry yet so, I'll just try again. Really hope he eats next time because, my LFS doesn't carry live feeder shrimp nor fiddler crabs, I have to catch them😒.

I have some damsels, and a really small newborn triggerfish with it and he doesn't really bother them. I also did put around 10 hermits in there but he only snacked on around 4. He is on the less aggressive side and doesn't really attack anything unless he's really hungry. I've had him for about 2 weeks now.

Tired

You can try catching a feeder animal, killing it, and then skewering it. He might just not recognize a hunk of stuff as food. If you use something familiar, and move it around like it's alive, it should get his attention. Then you can train him to take any food you put on the skewer. Or you can start feeding him live food held in tongs, then dead food. 

I would suspect he might not be hungry because he's been eating your hermits. And the problem is that he'll get hungry again, and may take a whack at the fish. 

Also, you probably shouldn't have that triggerfish in there. By the time it gets big enough for him not to threaten it, it might be a threat to him. Plus, they get huge and they need huge tanks, and the room to grow to their proper size.

Thefishgolfer
1 hour ago, Tired said:

You can try catching a feeder animal, killing it, and then skewering it. He might just not recognize a hunk of stuff as food. If you use something familiar, and move it around like it's alive, it should get his attention. Then you can train him to take any food you put on the skewer. Or you can start feeding him live food held in tongs, then dead food. 

I would suspect he might not be hungry because he's been eating your hermits. And the problem is that he'll get hungry again, and may take a whack at the fish. 

Also, you probably shouldn't have that triggerfish in there. By the time it gets big enough for him not to threaten it, it might be a threat to him. Plus, they get huge and they need huge tanks, and the room to grow to their proper size.

I feel like the triggerfish is fine because the Mantis is around the  3 times the size of the triggerfish. I'll also try feeding some dead or alive feeder animal on a skewer. Hope he eats that😁

Thefishgolfer

So since its been about 3 days since I fed him, I tried giving him a a dead crab that I skewered. At first he took it and started taking whacks and finally started eating after a while of whacking. 1 hour later I check on him and, the crab was just lying outside and my triggerfish and damsels were just picking on it. It looked like he just took a few nibbles and threw it out. Is this because he isn't hungry or because he doesn't like the food????

He has also been showing some signs he is getting ready for a molt. I'm suspecting a molt in the next week or so, or possibly not.

mndfreeze

Try small pieces of silversides on a skewer.  Wiggle it in front of him.  It took a few weeks for mine to start eating normal and make the connection that skewer = food.

Tired

If he nibbled and then left it, he's probably not hungry. Since, again, he's been eating hemits. And mantis shrimp don't eat very often anyway. 

Sounds like you've got a viable feeding method, though. He took it, so he's learning.

Thefishgolfer
7 hours ago, Tired said:

If he nibbled and then left it, he's probably not hungry. Since, again, he's been eating hemits. And mantis shrimp don't eat very often anyway. 

Sounds like you've got a viable feeding method, though. He took it, so he's learning.

I guess I will try feeding it again in about 2-3 days. I'll also try some silversides and see if he will take it in the next 3 days or so

Diamonds x Pearls

Might be a left field tactic, but if you're near an Asian supermarket get some live shellfish and see if he takes it. There's a bit of a risk since it's live and Asian markets aren't always the cleanest places as in a lot of the raw seafood is left out for the entire business hour. However you can try the nice frozen (sometimes vacuum sealed) mussels and clams.

Though with the molt there can be the chance that the mantis shrimp is focused on that rather than eating. It is an energy taxing process and when a crustacean is finished its molt it's not the smartest animal yet. When the carapace is stripped unfortunately the animal's sensory capabilities (touch, smell, taste, vision) are gone until the new exoskeleton takes place. Additionally they can't really move too well. As you can tell, it's the most vulnerable state. Fortunately, molting will end once the animal reaches full size.

Thefishgolfer
8 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Might be a left field tactic, but if you're near an Asian supermarket get some live shellfish and see if he takes it. There's a bit of a risk since it's live and Asian markets aren't always the cleanest places as in a lot of the raw seafood is left out for the entire business hour. However you can try the nice frozen (sometimes vacuum sealed) mussels and clams.

Though with the molt there can be the chance that the mantis shrimp is focused on that rather than eating. It is an energy taxing process and when a crustacean is finished its molt it's not the smartest animal yet. When the carapace is stripped unfortunately the animal's sensory capabilities (touch, smell, taste, vision) are gone until the new exoskeleton takes place. Additionally they can't really move too well. As you can tell, it's the most vulnerable state. Fortunately, molting will end once the animal reaches full size.

I actually do not have a Asia live shellfish supermarket😭, but I do live in a place with a coral reef. I can go out and catch shellfish which I normally do to feed my fish, but the Virus is getting pretty serious here. I also think he might not eat until he molts. I'll try feeding him one more time in the next 3 days but if he doesn't eat, I'll let him be alone and molt.

Thefishgolfer
23 hours ago, Thefishgolfer said:

I actually do not have a Asia live shellfish supermarket😭, but I do live in a place with a coral reef. I can go out and catch shellfish which I normally do to feed my fish, but the Virus is getting pretty serious here. I also think he might not eat until he molts. I'll try feeding him one more time in the next 3 days but if he doesn't eat, I'll let him be alone and molt.

Update: He ate a baby blue crab about the size of a quarter and also ate a hermit crab. I think he isn't gonna molt considering how much he ate in the past few days. He is still not accepting any frozen foods on a skewer. I think I will just stick with live food😩

Tired

You could try live food with the skewer next to it for a bit. He might just be scared of the skewer. It's important to try and get him to eat from a skewer, and not just to be nicer to the food- being able to go out and capture live food is a situation that might change, for a wide variety of reasons. What if you get sick and can't go catch anything? What if a storm scares it all into hiding? 

Plus, wild food can bring in parasites. Better to use something that's been frozen first, if possible. 

Any pics of him? 

Thefishgolfer

4 hours ago, Tired said:

You could try live food with the skewer next to it for a bit. He might just be scared of the skewer. It's important to try and get him to eat from a skewer, and not just to be nicer to the food- being able to go out and capture live food is a situation that might change, for a wide variety of reasons. What if you get sick and can't go catch anything? What if a storm scares it all into hiding? 

Plus, wild food can bring in parasites. Better to use something that's been frozen first, if possible. 

Any pics of him? 

I'll try to feed him some live food on a skewer next time. Then when he accepts I'll move on to frozen foods to try and get him to eat.😁

IMG_4987.thumb.JPG.df07a7599fa318256379d72c47fb5787.JPG

Thefishgolfer

Sorry about the terrible quality😭. Thats the best picture I could get 

Tired

I wouldn't suggest live food on a skewer, since that would require you to skewer a live animal that can feel pain. Live food near the skewer. Heck, leave the skewer in the tank for a bit when you feed, give him time to get used to it. 

He's pretty, I like the patterns. I worry about the cycle of the tank, though, since that looks like dry rock. Did you use any live rock? Mantises are messy eaters who need a very well-established biofilter. 

Thefishgolfer

I didn't really worry about the cycle because I used seawater from the ocean near me but, I still let it cycle for about 3 weeks. Yes I did use dry rock because that was the best my LFS had to offer and it was illegal in my area to collect live rock from the beach. I guess I'll let the skewer sit in the aquarium when I feed him from now on. Also thanks he is a pretty one😁

Snow_Phoenix

I have kept G. platysoma mantises twice, and I've always found them very beautiful too. 😊

• Like 1

Thefishgolfer
19 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have kept G. platysoma mantises twice, and I've always found them very beautiful too. 😊

Yes they are☺️

• Like 1