Cultivated Reef

New 36G Bow front!

todd2000

So, I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years, but got the itch to start again! Petsmart had a good deal on a 36G Bowfront and stand for $199, so I went for it. This is probably going to be a slowish start, so far I've got a Mars Aqua 165W, I've built a PVC mount for it and painted the back of the tank black. 

Plan on getting about 30ish lbs of live rock from either TBS or Premium Aquatics. Leaning toward the latter because it is less dense, and they will ship it to my door. Yes I know shipping in water is better, but may not be worth the hassle and freight charges to pick up from the airport. My main concern is the bacteria, and coralline coverage, if I get some extra hitchhikers even better.

Think I'm going to get maybe an AquaMax HOB 1.5 for a skimmer, unless anyone has better suggestions for a HOB, there doesn't seem to be a ton these days.

Not much else to say at the moment, but here are a few pics. I took a stab in the dark and mounted the light at 10" figured I could always raise it by just raising the pipe up and putting something under it behind the stand. I see the general consensus seems to be 10-12" I might cut the pipe a little shorter though so I have options to go closer then 10" should I want to.

IMG_6140.jpeg

IMG_6145.jpeg

Tank looks good. 

Thats a cool light stand you made.

You don't necessarily need a skimmer. Not all nano's need them.

There aren't many hob skimmers on the market anymore. 

Any liverock shipped out of water will have die off of any living matter. The more it dries out, the more that dies off.

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Tank looks good. 

Thats a cool light stand you made.

You don't necessarily need a skimmer. Not all nano's need them.

There aren't many hob skimmers on the market anymore. 

Any liverock shipped out of water will have die off of any living matter. The more it dries out, the more that dies off.

Thanks. I think I’m gonna cut the pipe shorter before I fill the tank, just so I have the option to go lower if I want to. Much easier to raise the pipe then lower it once everything is set up. 

As for skimmers I figure I kinda want a medium ish bio load so I figured a skimmer would help. Also will probably get a regular HOB filter in case I want to run floss or some other media. What are people running in their filters these days? Back in the day it was phosguard, chemi-pure etc...

Yeah I know there will be some die off, but people seem happy with KP Aquatics even with shipping. 

3 minutes ago, todd2000 said:

Thanks. I think I’m gonna cut the pipe shorter before I fill the tank, just so I have the option to go lower if I want to. Much easier to raise the pipe then lower it once everything is set up. 

As for skimmers I figure I kinda want a medium ish bio load so I figured a skimmer would help. Also will probably get a regular HOB filter in case I want to run floss or some other media. What are people running in their filters these days? Back in the day it was phosguard, chemi-pure etc...

Yeah I know there will be some die off, but people seem happy with KP Aquatics even with shipping. 

Skimmers may not doanything bioload wise. Good old fashion waterchanges are the most effective.

I have 4 fish in my 25g, no skimmer and struggled to keep nutrients in my tank.

So every system will be different.

In hobs- most run floss and carbon. Anything else on a need to basis.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Skimmers may not doanything bioload wise. Good old fashion waterchanges are the most effective.

I have 4 fish in my 25g, no skimmer and struggled to keep nutrients in my tank.

So every system will be different.

In hobs- most run floss and carbon. Anything else on a need to basis.

I thought that was the entire point of skimmers? Removing excess waste and nutrients? (Yes I know you want some nitrates and phosphates)

So really I guess I can just start with a HOB filter and water changes and see what my levels are like. 

3 hours ago, todd2000 said:

I thought that was the entire point of skimmers? Removing excess waste and nutrients? (Yes I know you want some nitrates and phosphates)

So really I guess I can just start with a HOB filter and water changes and see what my levels are like. 

You'll find a lot of nano owners don't have skimmers.

Most recommend adding one if you need it, its not an absolute need.

Nothing replaces a good waterchange.

And yes, you do need nitrates and phosphates

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress. Got the sand, a Seachem Tidal 55 filter and two Sicce Voyager Nano 270GPH pumps! Now if my RO/DI unit would ever get here on it's slow crawl from Ohio! lol Nevermind, RO/DI got here literally as I was typing this!

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

Well this whole process is getting annoying! Hooked up the RODI, and I'm getting a whopping 15 PSI! Was really hoping I wouldn't need a booster pump since I'm not planning on installing this system permanently, was going to just use it on the counter when I needed to filter water...

EDIT: Talked to Russ at Buckeye Hydro, turns out I had the flush valve open! Getting about 40 PSI right now, gonna try a different feed water connection and see if it helps....

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along! I got 30 lbs of live rock. Decided to go with KP Aquatics, and did air shipping in water. Very nice rock! These LED lights really don't photograph well with the blue light on at all! I just kinda threw the rock in the tank for now, but I kinda like the way it looks lol. Came with a bunch of hitchhikers, got a feather duster, what I think is a sea squirt, and some random crabs, shrimp and a snail. I posted a separate thread for ID. Click Here

IMG_6640.jpeg