Cultivated Reef

Purple Helix / Pink Fusion

Littlest Reef

Littlest Reef

Posting this as sort of a product PSA, sort of an inquiry. I currently have a 3 gallon fluval pico reef, and am constructing a 30l Nuvo. The 30 is wet but not yet cycling - I am using Dr. Tim's ammonia and waiting on the package. 

Purple Helix and Pink fusion bottled coralline showed up early from algae barn. My issue now is, on the shipping insert it states ammonia should be as close to zero as possible, and nitrate less than 5 ppm. I was sort of surprised by this as the breadth of youtube videos and commentary outside of what is listed on AB's website seems to indicate its good to add this product during the cycle. I have even seen a BRS video that indicates the lights don't even need to be on. Now I'm questioning if I even add this or try to return it and add it later. Has anyone out there tried these? 

Right now my thought is the expiration is August 25, if my cycle kit shows up in the next 4-5 days, I should have some runway to get beyond the ammonia spike and still have time to add it. 

If you can't trust the vendor's instructions over 25 random fish-heads on the internet...then I don't know what to tell you other than you put too much faith into what you read/watch online. 😉   (Good luck growing algae without light!  hahah. [Video Deleted])

I don't know about a shipping insert (written by who?) but ARC Reef, who makes the products in question, seem like a bunch of pretty smart cookies and here's what their bottle says:

image.png.1aac35aa35710852bd17d4869631ef7b.png

(Make sure to check that bottling date!)

Here's the 411 straight from their website:

(https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae/)

Directions:
Use when setting up a new aquarium, when adding new rock or substrate to your tank, and to boost the color and diversity of existing live rock.

Entire contents must be used within 14 days of the bottling date. Every order is bottled on the date that it ships.

For saltwater use only.

1 8oz. bottle treats up to 50 gallons. If your tank is more than 50 gallons it is recommended to use 1 bottle for every 50 gallons of tank volume. You cannot overdose your tank with this product.

Pretty straightforward....but light, nutrients and flow will ALL be required.  (Same as for growing corals.)