ReefCleaners.org

How to kill anthelia

joey13254

What’s the best way to kill anthelia off the rock work in your tank while keeping the bacteria alive on your rock. It’s the only thing in my tank now. I’ve move the other coral to a new tank and I have no fish or inverts. 

I'm not sure there is a good way to do this other than adding a fish or invert that will eat it...

Any chemicals would likely be absorbed into the rock and make it unsuitable to ever be used in a reef again

As an aside, anyone who has ever complained about xenia being invasive is lucky they haven't met anthelia yet

How much? Superglue over the top will smother it (like with aiptasia), and directly applying aiptasia-X according to the instructions would probably also be pretty bad for it. Or you could trade your infested rock for fresh rock, some people like that stuff. 

How big is the tank? 

Might take awhile, but it's worth a try. If it does start dying, be prepared to do plenty of water changes, to prevent an ammonia spike that would harm your live rock. 

Fenbendazole, seems most can get away with just doing large waterchanges afterwards and having their system be invert-safe, most seem to have no adverse effects on darn-near anything but certain annelid worms and very, very specific corals even in established systems. 
Your mileage may vary however and I cannot say for certain whether it will work, however given the close relation to xenia, and some personal reports, I'd be inclined to think it may.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

I’d try a Twenty minute fresh water dip. I did that to my live rock when I transferred every thing from my 90 gallon to a 45 and a 30. Also again when I moved to the 65 gallon, got rid of a bunch of bristle worms, a hitch hiker crab, I didn’t know was in the tank. Some of the Rock had Coral I couldn’t remove, didn’t effect any except for Xenia corals. Even the Green Star came back. 

That's likely to flush out and kill a lot of the beneficial stuff on the rock, though. Blackout and/or antifungal medication is much less likely to harm the rest of the things on the rock.