SaltCritters.com

Future stocking plans

Edwardfish

I asked this in my build thread for my 20 long but figured it would be better asked here. One of these would be added as well as a pink streaked wrasse when I can find them.

Anyone know a peaceful nano fish that can be added after I add a pink streaked wrasse or before (hard to find) I wanted a 4th to add to the bicolor blenny, fire fish, and pink streaked. My possible thoughts but lmk what you think. 

1. purple fire fish

2. clown goby

3. clown fish (maybe too much bio load?)

4. royal gramma(also high bio load?)

5. pajama cardinal 

6. what am I thinking cramming 4 fish into a 20 gallon

7. court jester/Randall’s goby

8. orchid bass (aggression?)

9. gold/blue assessor

10. mandarin (joking)

Don't add anything blenny-shaped, or another firefish of any kind, they'll fight.

Clown gobies are great, can't go wrong with that. They would be the thing I would most suggest, out of your list. 

Court jesters are hard to feed, I wouldn't suggest one for anything other than a very mature tank. It's a shame, they're nice, but they're picky. You could try one, or a similar but slightly more herbivorous fish, the hector's goby, once your tank is nicely established. I used to have a hector's, and deliberately maintained a couple patches of hair algae for him to graze on. Great fish.  

The others are reasonable suggestions, but I agree you might be pushing it a bit with bioload. It'll depend on your individual tank. 4 fish in a 20gal is reasonable, the question is just how close it is to the bioload limit. 

If you can't find a pink streaked wrasse, consider a possum wrasse instead. Not very common either, but slightly more so, and similar to the pink streaked. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tired said:

Don't add anything blenny-shaped, or another firefish of any kind, they'll fight.

Clown gobies are great, can't go wrong with that. They would be the thing I would most suggest, out of your list. 

Court jesters are hard to feed, I wouldn't suggest one for anything other than a very mature tank. It's a shame, they're nice, but they're picky. You could try one, or a similar but slightly more herbivorous fish, the hector's goby, once your tank is nicely established. I used to have a hector's, and deliberately maintained a couple patches of hair algae for him to graze on. Great fish.  

The others are reasonable suggestions, but I agree you might be pushing it a bit with bioload. It'll depend on your individual tank. 4 fish in a 20gal is reasonable, the question is just how close it is to the bioload limit. 

If you can't find a pink streaked wrasse, consider a possum wrasse instead. Not very common either, but slightly more so, and similar to the pink streaked. 

I meant to say hectors goby oops... Randall’s is nothing close to a court jester. Problem is my bicolor destroys all and any patch of gha so unless I over feed a lot not more hair algae. Or could I just supplement his diet as well as the bicolor with algae sheets or flakes. I think 4 fish would be ok for bio load, Ik people have done 4 fish with less water and rock plus I’ve got a “huge” section of cheato that once hervested grows fast. I’ll need to look into bio load for cardinals, basslets, and some others but probably no long blenny like fish Probably ones that cruise around the tank more. I’ve also heard possums will do great with pink streaked I just read someone else’s forum. I think I may try that they both look awesome and are small and it was hard for me to pick one over the other so if anyone has input on that it would be appreciated.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, Tired said:

I have a blenny and a purple fire fish together and they work just fine

Right. But a blenny will fight another blenny, and two firefish will fight each other. OP described having a blenny and a firefish, so OP should not add another of either of those fish.

I don't know that you're going to find anything on exact bioload of different small fish. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tired said:

I don't know that you're going to find anything on exact bioload of different small fish. 

Don’t think I will either just gonna look up if they are messy eaters, eat a lot, diet that sort of stuff and compare them 

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

if you can find them and are willing to pay $$ a Stark damsel are great. very peaceful, great personality, stunning.

Little out of the price range I was thinking less than 60 but I could always save up more. I really love the royal blue color tho which only seems to be on damsels and tangs... no tangs for me but any other damsels do you think will work I really like the colors of the springers and azure I think I could pass it as dory too lol.

A yellowtail blue damsel might work. They can be a bit territorial, but they pick a cave and defend just that, they don't go around the tank chasing things. They also tend to smack with their tails instead of biting, when something intrudes. If you make sure you have an unclaimed nook or three for him to choose from, one of those could be a good option. Be sure to add him after the wrasse. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Tired said:

A yellowtail blue damsel might work. They can be a bit territorial, but they pick a cave and defend just that, they don't go around the tank chasing things. They also tend to smack with their tails instead of biting, when something intrudes. If you make sure you have an unclaimed nook or three for him to choose from, one of those could be a good option. Be sure to add him after the wrasse. 

Another good option I’ll be on the look out for those