Top Shelf Aquatics

Back in the game with a 13.5 Fluval evo

Lindz

So I used to have a 24 gallon jbj cube, now back after a five year hiatus.  I think my tank has fully cycled quickly because of live rock from lfs and nutri-sea water. I have hitchhikers of spaghetti worm and I think another worm but it also looks like an arm of a bristle star fish. I see a few big pods swimming around of some sort. I finally received my test kit so i will be able to test the next few days and see. Its been up about a week now. I have a little bit of algae but not much. I have an In Tank media basket in chamber 1 with filter floss, carbon and some bio media. I have a power head but I am waiting to add it.

• Like 1

Welcome back! you’re tank looks great! I started my Evo in may.

i think a torch would well in this tank with stock lights, I have a hammer in mine and it’s seems happy! 
what are you planning for fish? 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Welcome back! you’re tank looks great! I started my Evo in may.

i think a torch would well in this tank with stock lights, I have a hammer in mine and it’s seems happy! 
what are you planning for fish? 

probably a goby and clownfish

TerraIncognita

Torch and hammer were fine under stock lighting.

In-fact I think really MOST Softies and LPS can be KEPT under the stock lighting. However I think if you want GROWTH you're gonna have to switch it up.

They might grow SLOW but very slow. That was my experience with the Stock lighting. I know it's a bitch.

Before you really get TOO into it bro I suggest right now just thinking if you REALLY want this tank. I regret it. Fluval should remove it from the market it's a glitch. It's a "nice idea" but the 20G AIO Innovative Marine is 200 times better. Even the 10G AIO Innovative Marine is better.

#### this Fluval tank! 😄 lol (yes I mean mine)

Lastly I will be using this as a QT tank eventually in the long run, and I think for THAT it's PERFECT.

12 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

Torch and hammer were fine under stock lighting.

In-fact I think really MOST Softies and LPS can be KEPT under the stock lighting. However I think if you want GROWTH you're gonna have to switch it up.

They might grow SLOW but very slow. That was my experience with the Stock lighting. I know it's a bitch.

Before you really get TOO into it bro I suggest right now just thinking if you REALLY want this tank. I regret it. Fluval should remove it from the market it's a glitch. It's a "nice idea" but the 20G AIO Innovative Marine is 200 times better. Even the 10G AIO Innovative Marine is better.

#### this Fluval tank! 😄 lol (yes I mean mine)

Lastly I will be using this as a QT tank eventually in the long run, and I think for THAT it's PERFECT.

I am not a bro but anyway, what was it that you really didn't like?

TerraIncognita

Hi Lindz, apologize!

"Bro" in California isn't necessarily Gender oriented anymore, which is why I always throw it around with caution to the wind, no intention to offend. Not sure where you're from. But I live in the heart of Los Angeles.

The chambers in the back are just 1 Inch to small. The stock pump is really kind of "meh" and to upgrade it the only pump that fits is a $100 Mini Jet from Innovative Marine. You could run it stock, but I like a better flow.

Depending where you keep it in your house it's going to be subject to temp swings.

I blast my A/C all summer at 72 however my tank in my living room gets to 82 during mid day right now (Temps outside are 105) despite anything I try. I think my AC thermos is slightly off and it's more like 74 than 72, but I think just the stock lighting and pump really heat it up, That might be why they didn't include a heater with the kit?

Also the stupid little foot on the bottom is dumb, IDK why they did that. It should've just been a flat tank surface.

Lastly! the LID! is so annoying, anytime you want to do ANYTHING, removing the back and front  part of the lid with the protein skimmer. AGH! GET OUT OF HERE! AND YOU CAN GET RID OF THE LID BECAUSE GUESS WHAT! THAT'S WHERE THE LIGHT GOES! LOL

Also with the lid no evap, higher temps.

Anyway, here's my 13.5 now, started around July 1 but i had to finick with it so damn much. I'm also just a super picky person. Lid is gone, lights are gone, pump changed (now waiting for my $100 one so I can actually fit the heater back into the back chamber. I upgraded to a $50 that was 1/8 of an inch too big.....)

ALSO the way the chambers are set up makes no sense. You NORMALLY want the filter floss right there as the first thing that hits the overflow IMO. Instead it's the protein skimmer?? who? What? Who are you FLUVAL?

large.96FFBBC0-0953-4B3B-BE5F-21F10AE019C8.jpeg.7297ab2772340af37039143cf9644c7b.jpeg

lol, no worries, I am from Connecticut so across the country. I put the InTank media basket in chamber 1 so the filter floss is right there.  I get you on the lid, its annoying me already. I went for the price and the size.  I have AC and its running about 79. I read about the pump and I figure the power head could help? I think the foot is too make it look fancy lol. Your tank is great!  Is that torch, you put it at the bottom and its doing good?

• Like 1
TerraIncognita

Yeah IMO if I were you, I'd go get a different AIO, and save this for a future date for something specific.

Like I think it would be a really good isolation tank. my LFS has just a single pedastool rock all overgrown in GPS, and then random pillars of Blasto, Goni, Xenia, etc and it looks SOOOOOOO cool. He keeps 2 clowns and a YWMG and Pistol Shrimp in there.

He runs it completely Stock for everyone to see how easy it is. That's why I bought it to. but I don't want just that in my tank, I want SPS! lol. I should've thought ahead. So that's my fault.

There's someone selling a IM 20 Gallon Pennisula for $150!! near me. I wish I had gotten that instead. Check Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook martketplace. check everywhere.

Otherwise, just keep it super simple. and you'll be fine. I' just can't settle with simple, as you can see from my photo I have 17 different coral species.......

Having a thread for your tank is better. I figured since you already have the tank up and running that some questions might be answered in there, hear pros and cons, what has worked for others and see different scapes and corals.

TerraIncognita

It's a Anemone (Porcelain crab) I don't know if you can keep a carpet nem under stock lighting (not saying you can't but I'd see if anyone else has first), and I wouldn't try to keep a nem crab without a nem, kinda cruel 😞 But he's super cute :).

large.DA1BDD9E-7D5B-4D62-9CFE-813D115216B5.png.60148b2ba270dbfcd536e86e3600ff04.pnglarge.84A81BBB-D596-4C74-A0AD-7983632A187A.png.dc90e4da7f0b48d892689b19494be71f.png

TerraIncognita

Crabs are the best! My GF is a Cancer Horiscope, and I literally got him just for her because we had NO crabs! (I hate emerald crabs because they always turn against their owners and start eating their corals haha) haha but I ended up loving him just as much, he doesn't bother anyone ever, I've never seen him leave his nem so I imagine he probably won't, and he shares it with my clowns, so it's like 4 animals in a little corner all loving each other and rubbing together. I love it.

25 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Having a thread for your tank is better. I figured since you already have the tank up and running that some questions might be answered in there, hear pros and cons, what has worked for others and see different scapes and corals.

cool, thanks.

29 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I figured I could start a journal too.

TerraIncognita
26 minutes ago, Lindz said:

I figured I could start a journal too.

Start the journal! Did you cycle with any bacteria?

I guess a lot of reefers don't add Dr. Tims or other live bacteria. I always do, I wouldn't dream to without it, it's been the make or break of any tank for me. First tank I ever had I didn't use it and couldn't get it to cycle for 2 months. Finally added bacteria and it was fish ready 3 days later.

What do you plan to stock? I wanna seeeeee.

2 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Start the journal! Did you cycle with any bacteria?

I guess a lot of reefers don't add Dr. Tims or other live bacteria. I always do, I wouldn't dream to without it, it's been the make or break of any tank for me. First tank I ever had I didn't use it and couldn't get it to cycle for 2 months. Finally added bacteria and it was fish ready 3 days later.

What do you plan to stock? I wanna seeeeee.

So I didn’t. I fed the tank a few days ago I don’t have anything in it right now except for the hitchhiker spaghetti worm and either a bristle starfish or a bristle worm I can’t tell because it just pokes out once in a while I tested and it looks like maybe a hint of ammonia  I can’t tell too well from the api test kit I’ll test again tomorrow. I have a couple big pods flying around too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I finally add my first fish and I notice what i thought was algae on my rock, but it turns out to be rusty color flat worms! Am I doomed or can I get rid of these?

3 hours ago, Lindz said:

So I finally add my first fish and I notice what i thought was algae on my rock, but it turns out to be rusty color flat worms! Am I doomed or can I get rid of these?

Do they have 3 tails? Or 2 

red planaria (the bad flatworm has a 3rd tail in the middle, anything else should be good and eat algae