Pod Your Reef

NicoB0817

He seems to be doing much better now, he finally has his fins and head up again and I watched him eat. (Good considering a few days ago he was scooting himself a cross the ground with his fins)

15967298009921959270797455288537.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly I had to euthinize the Goby, he was getting eaten to death by hermit crabs and didn't have much time left, he was still breathing and he didn't have enough time left for a clove oil euthinizeation so we just had to flush him. (Sorry for spelling) 

• Sad 4
Just now, NicoB0817 said:

Sadly I had to euthinize the Goby, he was getting eaten to death by hermit crabs and didn't have much time left, he was still breathing and he didn't have enough time left for a clove oil euthinizeation so we just had to flush him. (Sorry for spelling) 

Well, I am sorry for your loss and am glad you made the right decision for the goby. 

I've got no idea why my hermit crabs have done this, the tank is literally having a giant algae bloom and I've been feeding them enough food, but they'd rather kill my snails... Anyone got any idea on why this is happening?

Hermits are opportunistic and will grab an overturned snail or such. They will also sense something dying or sick and take advantage. The same goes for nass snails, worms and so on. Crabs are just a bit more bold and fast. 

• Like 1

If you have to euthanize something in the future, please don't flush it. That's not humane at all. It just leads to the fish dying of chlorine poisoning and being in freshwater for too long. If a fish is in too much distress for clove oil, the kindest thing to do is crush its skull. Gruesome, but instant. It's also my go-to for lizards that a cat has gotten at.

Can you post a pic of the hermits? They do sound unusually ravenous. Maybe you don't have red legs. 

TerraIncognita
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Hermits are opportunistic and will grab an overturned snail or such. They will also sense something dying or sick and take advantage. The same goes for nass snails, worms and so on. Crabs are just a bit more bold and fast. 

+1 Hermits are little devils actually. they have 0 empathy.

• Like 1

Of course they don't, they're basically bugs. They aren't social, so they have no reason to have evolved empathy. Or any comprehension of the effects of their actions. They're opportunists, without the capacity to understand any harm they might be doing. That's what animals do. Some are just more equipped to be a problem than others. 

I would return those, they sound really aggressive. Scarlet reef hermits may be worth a try, if you want hermits- they're the most docile ones you can get. The only trouble mine have caused is that one of them knocks things over sometimes because he lifts them up to look under them. And I think they killed some snails when I was underfeeding the tank, but, honestly, that's entirely fair. I can't exactly fault them for killing and eating food when they weren't getting enough food from other places.

TerraIncognita
3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Of course they don't, they're basically bugs. They aren't social, so they have no reason to have evolved empathy. Or any comprehension of the effects of their actions. They're opportunists, without the capacity to understand any harm they might be doing. That's what animals do. Some are just more equipped to be a problem than others. 

I would return those, they sound really aggressive. Scarlet reef hermits may be worth a try, if you want hermits- they're the most docile ones you can get. The only trouble mine have caused is that one of them knocks things over sometimes because he lifts them up to look under them. And I think they killed some snails when I was underfeeding the tank, but, honestly, that's entirely fair. I can't exactly fault them for killing and eating food when they weren't getting enough food from other places.

Dude.... obviously I don't think Hermits have Empathy, or any Emotion complexes....

Well, it was eather the peppermint shrimp or the hermit crabs, because on Sunday I got a peppermint shrimp and it was standing beside the Goby, and the Goby had all of his scales taken off and had tons of holes in his fins. I don't know exactly what killed him yet. Anyone have experience with peppermint shrimp eating fish?

Unless the shrimp was much bigger than the fish, I don't think it would have the oomph to do anything. Freshwater ghost shrimp will try and kill small fish, but the fish has to be smaller than them.

And re. hermit empathy, you'd be surprised how much malice people will attribute to animals incapable of it. Worst example I've seen is a poultry forum with a couple of members who drown trapped varmints because they think the varmints are being malicious in killing their chickens. Oh, and wasps- people tend to think wasps sting them out of malice. Less concerning than the actual animal cruelty, but much more widespread.