Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Everyone’s back in - me too!

djp183

Seems that Covid is creating a re-reefing trend! Been out of the hobby for 8 years or so but as a home bound virtually-working teacher I decided to pick up this 40 gallon aio. AI Prime and better protein skimmer in order. Can’t wait for it to clear and to add my live rock! 

CA1B63B2-5963-428D-A8A8-27EF5E13F8B4.jpeg

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Welcome back! What are your plans for the tank?

Thanks, thinking LPS and some easier SPS up high. I used to have a Squamosa and definitely want another clam! Clown pair, an RBTA, and maybe a goby. I will be picking up dosers for calcium and alk. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 minutes ago, djp183 said:

Quick question - I used to control my lights, dosing pumps, heater, etc with a reefkeeper lite. Anything comparable now? Thanks!

The two major ones out there these days, are Apex and GHL. 

38 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @djp183! That's a great sized tank to get started with, lots of possibilities! It's definitely a good time to have hobbies at home again 🙂 

Keep us posted!

Thanks, will do!

Well I just added LR. About 10 gorilla crabs made their way up from Florida with it and since my kids were watching me do it, I didn’t have the heart to destroy them then and there. So I guess I will be adding a mantis shrimp to the tank at some point. The rock looks great with many hermits/snails and some macro algae. Overall happy with it; just wish I didn’t have a ton of gorillas to deal with already..

32F1FB6B-B8E9-4F17-8EB0-8895EFB9037A.jpeg

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. If you get a mantis would it eat all the hermits and snails also? Would you keep the mantis? That looks like some nice rock.

The mantis in our rock flower tank, wiped everything out, but one Mexican Turbo Snail. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

How many pounds of rock did you get? Who did you get it from? Looks like you got some cool sponges also! 

30lbs. Got it from saltybottom reef co in Fla. Honestly I was expecting more good critters and Halimeda, but it’s still better than what I could get at my LFS. I noticed at least 5 aiptasia already unfortunately. There are some cool sponges though! As for the mantis, I think they are fascinating but I forgot I would have to sacrifice the cuc. I had a green one in my last tank that coexisted with my fish and corals. Not sure what I’ll do about the crabs; have some time to figure it out though. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

I got rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater a few months back, and it was covered in various algae. We've also found a hitchhikers (gorilla crabs, eunice worm, porcelain crabs, etc.). I think you'd be able to set a trap for the gorilla crabs, especially if you aren't interested in keeping them alive. Put food in a corner of the tank, and wait with a spear, or you could try the bottle trap, if you know someone in your area that would want them. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, djp183 said:

Anything comparable now?

There are options for control, but nothing comparable to the old Digital Aquatics that I'm aware of.  

I still have a two-bar Lite system that works to a degree and which I used for a lo-o-ong time, but I ended up not really needing it for my new setup.  

Back in the halide days when I was running two displays/one sump with it, it did a lot more.  

These days, I don't even have AC powered flow pumps in my setup, so even the A/B wave maker functions became obsolete for me.  Hypothetically I was keeping it around for temperature monitoring and control, but my iTemp cable stopped working....and just temp. control wasn't really enough justification for all the space it and the cables took up.  I have four powerheads in the tank, two with their own controller (Tunze 6105's) as well as a Multicontroller 7096 to integrate them with a set of older pumps (Tunze 6095's).  Heaters are independent now.  Like the pumps, these days the lights (Kessil A350x) are on on their own control now too.  I run Jebao dosers, which have their own controls.   I also control power-shutoff for everything via an Eliminator Lighting E107 power control strip mounted discreetly in the stand.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, guess everything is pretty much automated nowadays! Got the prime and ato set up today; light is bright! Just have to figure out a tidy way to route the cord back to the wall from the fixture.

F34B48E2-4B07-47B4-B09E-8C1E3B76702B.jpeg

60836ED8-26F5-42FF-A1F3-4DBD58C5F8C0.jpeg

• Like 1