Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Upgrading from 16g to 32g

FupaTroopa

Im going from a 16g biocube to a 32 biocube. My old tank is doing very well and has been running successfully for about 2 years. Obivously Im going to need more rock so i bought 10lbs of base rock. Im going to move everything over from the old tank except the sand which i have bought new sand. My question is, is adding base rock and my old rock and old water will i go through another cycle? Im adding the current water and then filling up with new mixed water. Thank you in advance!

Yes the base dry rock can cause an ammonia spike.

Its best to place them in a bucket of sw with powethead/heater and monitor for ammonia levels. You can, pre cycle them in a bucket.

As long as you don't increase the bioload, you will be fine switching over the existing livestock and add the other rock later.

Its much easier just cycling the base rock in the bucket and once those are done, doing the transfer all at 1 time.

I detailed my tank transfer method in my lagoon journal. Its very detailed but can be very helpful.

I have never had a spike in ammonia or lost any livestock

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 9:13 PM, FupaTroopa said:

My question is, is adding base rock and my old rock and old water will i go through another cycle?

Clown is right....I would only add that it depends on the condition of your rock.  

Some rock is very clean.  Some rock still has a lot of organic material from the ocean dried on.  

Rather than going with a pre-baked plan, I would figure out which variety of rock you have first.  (Clean?  Dirty?)  Then plan accordingly.  

Clean rock (even mostly clean) can be used directly in a mature tank.  

(2 years isn't very old for a reef tank though.  And if there were any problems thoughout those 2 years, it might still not be matured at all.  You would know for sure rom being there of course, so just something to keep in mind.)