Coral Vue Hydros

What's new in the hobby in 10 years?

ScubaEthan

Hi all! I used to be active on this forum an loved it. I dismantled my nano reef upon moving across country (Atlanta or Portland, OR) about 9-10 years ago and now I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby.

What do you think have been the most exciting updates in the hobby over the past decade? I'm talking technology, lights, tanks, pumps, also theories for best practices, coral/fish care, etc.

I want to build a sustainable tank (not take anything directly from the ocean). Also, shout out to anyone in the PNW, especially Portland! Would love to connect.

Thanks!

Nano sapiens

Off the top of my head, ICP-OES testing widely available from multiple sources.  Testing to determine microbiome available from Aquabiomics.

A bunch of new LED light fixtures, various takes on flow devices, wireless everything these days, auto-monitoring devices for parameters.

Reef tank biology hasn't changed, just that we think we know more about it than we used to 10 years ago.

• Like 1

LED fixtures, hybrid T5-LED Fixtures, tank automation has gotten big as well.  Keeping phosphates and nitrates present but low is also new the past few years.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ScubaEthan said:

Hi all! I used to be active on this forum an loved it. I dismantled my nano reef upon moving across country (Atlanta or Portland, OR) about 9-10 years ago and now I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby.

What do you think have been the most exciting updates in the hobby over the past decade? I'm talking technology, lights, tanks, pumps, also theories for best practices, coral/fish care, etc.

I want to build a sustainable tank (not take anything directly from the ocean). Also, shout out to anyone in the PNW, especially Portland! Would love to connect.

Thanks!

LED's and the realization that nutrients and nitrate and phosphate are not your enemies. Wave-makers are mostly controllable now.

• Like 1

LED lights, various different types of wave makers, digital testers, understanding the importance of nitrates and phosphates are a few things that have changed.

I'm in your exact boat OP. Been out of the hobby for about 10 years, want to get back in, but honestly the whole LED lightning thing is confusing lol.. Also what this about nitrates and phosphates? Anyone have a link with more info?

12 minutes ago, todd2000 said:

I'm in your exact boat OP. Been out of the hobby for about 10 years, want to get back in, but honestly the whole LED lightning thing is confusing lol.. Also what this about nitrates and phosphates? Anyone have a link with more info?

We have learned that 0 nitrates and phosphates is actually bad when 10yrs ago 0 was considered optimal.

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

We have learned that 0 nitrates and phosphates is actually bad when 10yrs ago 0 was considered optimal.

I figured. Was looking for an explanation as to why... Found this video with a bit more info.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6bvlQOvgs. Will look into it more tomorrow. Interesting stuff. Seems like this makes it a bit easier don't have to obsess about keeping everything at 0.

• Like 1

Dead rock and dino blooms BOTH being "everyday occurrences" is new...and very often go hand in hand.  Avoid both, IMO.  

Live rock is still highly recommended for the betterment of your tank and the rest of your livestock – as mentioned, the biology hasn't changed.

Were Hanna's "Checker" line of low-cost digital photometers on the market back when you were last in?  That was big too. 

• Like 1
Frag Factory

Dry rock, LED lights and coral nutrition is what surprised me most when I got back into it.

Also the bacteria in a bottle instant cycle products, those are pretty good

Dry rock and bottled instant cycle products?! Sounds interesting and counter-intuitive. I've finally made a decision that I'm DEFINITELY getting back in the hobby. I'll be reading beginner articles again to see what I've missed. Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm excited about LEDs, and the nutrients issues and not having 0 nitrates and phosphates makes sense.