FreshwaterFishMan

20 Gallon Nano

FreshwaterFishMan

This is my first saltwater aquarium, so I figure I would start a journal of my 20 gallon nano reef!

Week 1: have the tank, small filter, heater, and light. Getting sand, salt and testing kit later this week. Powerhead sand rock coming over the next couple of weeks

image.jpg

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @FreshwaterFishMan! 20 gallons is a great size for your first nano reef. What kinds of corals are you hoping to keep?

FreshwaterFishMan
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @FreshwaterFishMan! 20 gallons is a great size for your first nano reef. What kinds of corals are you hoping to keep?

Thanks for the welcome! I am going to start out with a macro algae, and then over time hope to introduce some low - medium light easy care ones, not really anything specific. 🙂 there is one that really caught my eye from wwc, called splatter goniastrea. But any suggestions would be much appreciated!

FreshwaterFishMan

Got all of my bags of salt measured out, for ease of water changes, and am going to pick up sand and whatever rodi water they have at my grocery store! ( conveniently my grocery store is literally next door neiboors to PetCo )

image.jpg

FreshwaterFishMan

Edit: I have now got my sand, so just filled it all up and added salt, got the filtration running, so next comes rock and powerheads!

image.jpg

image.jpg

debbeach13

Glad to see things moving right along. Which light are you using?

FreshwaterFishMan
27 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad to see things moving right along. Which light are you using?

Unfortunately I have not really found a light that suits my needs for a reasonable price yet, so I am using an old fluval fresh and plant from my 36 gallon. Since it is full spectrum I was able to adjust it to include more blues and violets, and less whites. I am planning on getting a much better light when I decided to start adding in coral. 🙂

• Like 1

FreshwaterFishMan

Powerheads just arrived! Rock is going in soon too! Then I will start stocking, thinking about doing a yellow clown goby or a royal gramma, whatever fish I do will be the only one for the first few months, then I will hopefully do a clownfish sometime.

FreshwaterFishMan

Well..... I got my rock in and don’t even comment about the fish 

If you want to know the whole story of why I have a fish in already, then go to my thread talked into impulse buy.

861F94B1-8EE5-459A-B55C-E916AE09389C.jpeg

AD3978CE-82B5-4D92-9A82-6EDBDEF4A1C3.jpeg

FreshwaterFishMan

The clowns name is Hilda Mae Heifer Holstein you really dint want to know why it is named after multiple cows, but anyway, she/he/they ( how do you tell sexes in a clownfish? ) is doing well, here is a shot of her finally leaving her corner to explore a bit:

2E4A4C15-F82C-478B-9647-4236ACE10F3F.jpeg