Coral Vue Hydros

PLEASE HELP: Fins Destroyed

Friendofish

Friendofish

Hi guys. I just got a new Rainfordi Goby in the mail yesterday and he seemed to be doing fine. Then this morning I look at him and my firefish and both their fins seem to be tattered and messed up like fin rot or like they’ve been nipped. The thing is, they both seemed perfectly fine yesterday and there doesn’t seem to be any aggression between them. They are both eating well too. I’ve tried to get a picture of the firefish so you can see, but it was kinda hard to get a good pic. Please tell me what y’all think it is and what I should do. 

F4D10904-1375-41EE-93EE-43113C67D4EF.jpeg

Friendofish
23 minutes ago, j.falk said:

Damaged fins usually means fighting amongst tank inhabitants.  Turn the lights off, sit back away from the tank and see if they start fighting.

I’ve been watching them for a while now and they seem fine. The firefish is going into his little cave (where he normally goes when lights are out) and the Rainfordi is swimming around pecking at the rock. 

That is strange...usually if the two are fighting, you'd know it within minutes of the lights going off.

@Humblefish - Any ideas for damaged fins without the fish fighting?  Possible water quality issue?

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, j.falk said:

That is strange...usually if the two are fighting, you'd know it within minutes of the lights going off.

@Humblefish - Any ideas for damaged fins without the fish fighting?  Possible water quality issue?

Could be a water quality issue, or the new goby introduced some harmful bacteria into the tank. Which can cause fish to get bacterial infections: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/407685-bacterial-infections/

• Like 2
Friendofish

Hmmmm okay. So should I test my water or just go ahead and do a water change or should I try to figure out if this is some kind of infection? I just did a water change on Friday and at that point my levels were fine.

7 hours ago, Friendofish said:

I’ve been watching them for a while now and they seem fine. The firefish is going into his little cave (where he normally goes when lights are out) and the Rainfordi is swimming around pecking at the rock. 

Could be normal behavior for the Rainford's to hunt "around nightfall", can't be sure.  He may also simply not be settled into the tank's rhythm yet too since up until yesterday his world was total chaos.

Whatever the case, the object is that you need to see him go to bed so you can see what happens.

He may be trying to take the firefish's space....or the space he's trying to take may be occupied by a crab....hard to predict, so watching is crucial.  It does take some patience though....thankfully all that's required is that you look at your tank more.  Aww. 😉 

But seriously...without a good sleeping arrangement for each fish, one or both of your fish will eventually stress out and die.

• Like 1
Friendofish
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Could be normal behavior for the Rainford's to hunt "around nightfall", can't be sure.  He may also simply not be settled into the tank's rhythm yet too since up until yesterday his world was total chaos.

Whatever the case, the object is that you need to see him go to bed so you can see what happens.

He may be trying to take the firefish's space....or the space he's trying to take may be occupied by a crab....hard to predict, so watching is crucial.  It does take some patience though....thankfully all that's required is that you look at your tank more.  Aww. 😉 

But seriously...without a good sleeping arrangement for each fish, one or both of your fish will eventually stress out and die.

My lights are off and I can’t find either fish, so I’m assuming that my firefish is in his usual tiny cave where I can’t see him and I’m hoping the Rainfordi is in his own nook as well. I’ll try to watch tomorrow as the lights are going off to see where exactly he goes. I just hope that I can figure out the cause of their fin issues soon because I don’t want them to die or anything. 

• Like 1
On 7/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, Friendofish said:

Hmmmm okay. So should I test my water or just go ahead and do a water change or should I try to figure out if this is some kind of infection? I just did a water change on Friday and at that point my levels were fine.

I would try soaking the fish food with vitamins (especially Beta-glucan) to help boost their immune system: 

• Like 1