Top Shelf Aquatics

Possible precipitation problems

Nokare

I believe I am having issues with precipitation in my 75 gallon. Although I am showing no visual signs (no build up on heaters or pumps, no clumpy sand) these numbers just don't add up!
My tank is not mature and has about 15 lps frags and 20 sps frags. The sps is growing nicely I see visible signs of growth. Corraline is taking off and I need to clean it from the glass weekly.
Attached are images showing my levels and what I currently. Brs 2 part and pharma kalk from a reactor. The vinegar is dosed in to the reactor to concentrate the kalk.
I have done the stop dosing to try and stop the precip (measure alk drop and calculate demand to formulate a proper dose) but alk drops rapidly and I am trying to not kill my sps...
Any tips would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20200728-040438_Apex Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-040448_Apex Fusion.jpg

Also, do calcium reactors have precipitation issues? I have a geo 618 from a previous tank and have been considering setting it up. If the answer is no, ca rx do not lead to precip issues like the soda ash, I may buy the regulator and setup the reactor.

9 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Ditch the BRS stuff and get B-Ionic 2 part.  I dose roughly 30 mil of each in my Waterbox 130.4.

F6E3EF80-E9D3-4D31-BA32-984A4C109F69.thumb.jpeg.9e50d47767f91bd6627fcd21bab912d9.jpeg

Whats the difference? I was under the impression they were similar. Is b‐ionic bicarbonate?

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Nokare said:

Whats the difference? I was under the impression they were similar. Is b‐ionic bicarbonate?

I am not positive, I just know it’s a two part liquid that doesn’t require anything besides some dilution with rodi water.  You don’t have to deal with powders or anything.  Just from what I have seen, you use a lot less than the BRS stuff and I feel like I see a lot more people using the B-Ionic than the BRS stuff.

https://www.esvaquarium.com/

22 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I am not positive, I just know it’s a two part liquid that doesn’t require anything besides some dilution with rodi water.  You don’t have to deal with powders or anything.  Just from what I have seen, you use a lot less than the BRS stuff and I feel like I see a lot more people using the B-Ionic than the BRS stuff.

https://www.esvaquarium.com/

I have the big buckets of the brs 2 part stuff... Really thinking I'll just setup my ca rx. Want to buy a dos or 2? Lol 

Thanks for the input. Tank is looking good! Lmk when you got a frag pack ready for me!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Nokare said:

Really thinking I'll just setup my ca rx. Want to buy a dos or 2? Lol 

Thanks for the input. Tank is looking good! Lmk when you got a frag pack ready for me!

Going to be a little while until I got some frags.  My lowboy frag tank is almost up and running though.  

careful with the calcium reactor.  I’ve heard people are having trouble finding media right now.

2 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Going to be a little while until I got some frags.  My lowboy frag tank is almost up and running though.  

careful with the calcium reactor.  I’ve heard people are having trouble finding media right now.

Reborn is out most places. I have kz and neo mag in my cart.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

B Ionic is out everywhere too.  I just ordered some smaller bottles to at least have a couple month supply.  

Esv bionic is awesome stuff and so easy to use. 

Customer service is amazing as well.

They were closed down for a bit due to covid but i believe they are up and running again.

Here in Canada it still is available, you culd order it from here if need be.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Esv bionic is awesome stuff and so easy to use. 

Customer service is amazing as well.

They were closed down for a bit due to covid but i believe they are up and running again.

Here in Canada it still is available, you culd order it from here if need be.

I found a couple small bottles on marinedepot.  Only ones I could find.  BRS is out of all of it.  I asked brstv Facebook page.  He said he would get back to me with an answer on an availability update.   

16 hours ago, Nokare said:

Attached are images showing my levels and what I currently.

I can't make heads or tails of that graphic....guess I'm better with words and numbers.  Can you translate?

16 hours ago, Nokare said:

precipitation

What I can tell you without interpreting a graphic is that precipitation is pH-related.  If you're seeing pH spike, then stop doing whatever is spiking it.  (There's no reason a kalk reactor needs to be allowed to do that.....there's no good reason that a kalk+vinegar reactor to do that at all since pH is completely neutralized...could be working improperly the way you have it set up.

Also, why use kalk at all when you have the el cheapo two-part solution?  Not really any good reason to complicate things....pick one and go with it.  (I'd pick two part...it's just so damned straightforward.)

14 hours ago, Nokare said:

ESV is literally 2 parts.  Magnesium and trace elements are balanced across the two parts.

Whether you use "a lot" is relative to the concentration of your stock solution.  BRS uses Randy Farley's formulas for "Recipe #1" And "Recipe #2"...each of which mixes to a certain concentration.  ESV is different.   TLF is different.  Brightwell is different.  You definitely cannot compare costs on a $/ounce rate....something more concentrated should sell for more than something less concentrated.  (Not all makes publish their concentration levels....you can write off those brands without further consideration.)

That said, if you're using Recipe #1 (for raising pH) then stop using that as well.  Switch to Recipe #2 that uses bicarbonate and slightly lowers pH.  Recipe #1 caused problems for me too....but only after I was up to a VERY high dosing level.  (Makes me think you could be over-dosing if you're seeing precipitation but when you're just starting out and not dosing much volume.)

Do you measure your reagents with a 0.1-accuracy gram scale when you make up your stock solutions?