inTank Media Baskets

Clean-up crew that's compatible with banded coral shrimp

findingnemo23

findingnemo23

I just witnessed my banded coral shrimp eat one my my blue legged hermit crabs. 

What CUC will the shrimp leave alone? I would like to have a few nassarius snails to clean the algae from my tank but I'm concerned now that the shrimp might be too violent.

Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, findingnemo23 said:

There are always pellets on the bottom of the tank for them to eat

After a couple of minutes, there shouldn't be left over food.  Sounds like you might be overfeeding.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
12 hours ago, findingnemo23 said:

a few nassarius snails to clean the algae from my tank

nassarius snails don't eat algae, they are primarily detritivore (eating detritus on and under the sand, or chunky food that drops to the sand).  

coral banded shrimp can be quite aggressive, if you like it, then you'd have to deal with it picking off your CUC every once in a while.  I'd draw the line when it decides to go after fish personally, so keep an eye out for that too.  

• Like 2
findingnemo23
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

nassarius snails don't eat algae, they are primarily detritivore (eating detritus on and under the sand, or chunky food that drops to the sand).  

coral banded shrimp can be quite aggressive, if you like it, then you'd have to deal with it picking off your CUC every once in a while.  I'd draw the line when it decides to go after fish personally, so keep an eye out for that too.  

So then what would be the best combination of CUC for diatom and all other types of algae?

I plan on adding fish that can defend themselves like clowns, paired with a royal dottyback or 6 line wrasse

mitten_reef
14 minutes ago, findingnemo23 said:

So then what would be the best combination of CUC for diatom and all other types of algae?

I plan on adding fish that can defend themselves like clowns, paired with a royal dottyback or 6 line wrasse

you can read all about snails and hermit here https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners

or here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/6844/popular-value-packs-marine-invertebrates?c=497+6844&r=

• Like 1

Are you sure that your hermit didn't molt and that is what the banded shrimp ate?  

In other words, you saw them fighting/whatever and saw the shrimp drag the hermit out of his shell and eat it?

(Somehow I can only imagine the roles being reversed with the crab eating the shrimp.  LOL)

findingnemo23
7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Are you sure that your hermit didn't molt and that is what the banded shrimp ate?  

In other words, you saw them fighting/whatever and saw the shrimp drag the hermit out of his shell and eat it?

(Somehow I can only imagine the roles being reversed with the crab eating the shrimp.  LOL)

It turns out all my crabs are still alive now, what I saw before was the shrimp eating the legs and torso of a crab...But now I see both my crabs alive crawling around 

• Like 2