irondragon013

60g tall return to reefing

irondragon013

It has been about 4 years since I had a reef tank.  I recently received the go ahead from my wife to start up a 14g biocube that was shut down and left in a spare room.

Fast forward a month and a half, biocube is cycled and has a black snowflake Clownfish in it. My wife shows me a Facebook ad for a 60g tank and stand for $150. We picked it up that evening. And so it began.  

I had held on to a old diy LED light I have been reworking it with new LEDs and drivers. No sump, keeping it simple like the 20g long I had way back when.

Tank was setup on June 27, 2020

Equipment:

60g tall (30in wide, 18 in depth, 24 in tall)

Aquaclear 110 filter with floss and carbon

Ehiem 150w heater.

2 jebao pp4 power heads

Around 50-60 pounds BRS reef saver rock

Around 100 pounds of aragonite sand.

Residents:

1 Pearly Jawfish

1 Black Snowflake Clown

1 Carpenter's flasher wrasse

3 Chromis

Reef cleaners 20 long quick crew with hermit crabs.  I didn't want a too many snails to feed. 

Current FTS:

IMG_20200722_184233369.jpg

irondragon013

This tank has a deep sand bed for  a pearly jawfish named Diggy.  My wife's one demand was to have a fish that digs and with 24 inches of tank depth I was okay with having 5 inches of sand.  I did days of reading up on dsb and decided I liked the idea.  

Was stacked in first, then the sand added. Resulting in a lot of rock burried under sand but worth the safety for the jawfish.

IMG_20200626_160933070.jpg

irondragon013

Here it is after water and moving the rock from the biocube over with the clownfish. Also a day or so to settle. I had zero cycle since the 15 or so pounds of rock from the biocube was fully cycled. I tested often for ammonia (0.25 ppm) and had a very small spike but the tank quickly built up it's bio filter after a couple weeks and I haven't seen since adding in the rest of the residents. And now I feed 1/2 a cube of mysis a day and all my tests come out 0 nitrates, nitrites, ammonia.  I believe the dsb adds a ton of stability to the tank.

IMG_20200629_190056304.jpg

irondragon013

The tank went through some ugly diatoms which the cuc quickly eliminated it. During that time I got some pictures of the fish during feeding. The Chromis are impossible to photograph.

IMG_20200718_140608793.jpg

IMG_20200718_140925829.jpg

IMG_20200718_140516826.jpg

j.falk

Nice setup.  I never have any luck finding good deals on the Facebook marketplace...and I look daily.  #jealous  

irondragon013

My wife keeps an eye on local garage sale pages that are separate from the market.  Though I don't think a lot of aquarium stuff pops up there.

Our younger cat loves watching the fish. I just wish she would stop getting paw prints on the glass.

IMG_20200712_113737364.jpg

irondragon013

I got my light finished up today.  Also messed with the rock scape to get one of the rocks off the back glass.  Looking forward to getting some frags.

IMG_20200808_103334273.jpg

Joevember
2 hours ago, irondragon013 said:

I got my light finished up today.  Also messed with the rock scape to get one of the rocks off the back glass.  Looking forward to getting some frags.

IMG_20200808_103334273.jpg

What are you running on the fixture? 

Do you have any stocking ideas for coral? Seems like you could put some cool stuff in there 😄