Coral Vue Hydros

DIY chaeto reactor

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

Trying to add diversity to tank to help with dinos and was wondering if this would work for a chaeto reactor.  I've seen things like this online and wondered if anyone on here had 1st hand experience.  Thanks in advance.

Ps: I would like the pump to go in the rear chamber of I'm nuvo tank and the reactor in the stand below.

Screenshot_20200727-125811_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-125552_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-125224_Amazon Shopping.jpg

3 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

Trying to add diversity to tank to help with dinos and was wondering if this would work for a chaeto reactor.  I've seen things like this online and wondered if anyone on here had 1st hand experience.  Thanks in advance.

Ps: I would like the pump to go in the rear chamber of I'm nuvo tank and the reactor in the stand below.

Screenshot_20200727-125811_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-125552_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-125224_Amazon Shopping.jpg

If the pump fits, it would work. Do you have a strong enough main pump to T off of? The phosban 150 comes with a valve to control intake. I ran a similar setup, just outside of sump, but was afraid of leaks. So I put the reactor into the sump with a chaetomax light directly on it from the outside. Works great, and chaeto (along with gha in reactor) grow fast. 

justinkdenny
3 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

If the pump fits, it would work. Do you have a strong enough main pump to T off of? The phosban 150 comes with a valve to control intake. I ran a similar setup, just outside of sump, but was afraid of leaks. So I put the reactor into the sump with a chaetomax light directly on it from the outside. Works great, and chaeto (along with gha in reactor) grow fast. 

I dont think my return, although i have an upgraded sicce, would be adequate.  That would be cool though.  Do you run quite a bit of flow through yours?

12 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

I dont think my return, although i have an upgraded sicce, would be adequate.  That would be cool though.  Do you run quite a bit of flow through yours?

At first I just ran enough flow for the chaeto to tumble, but now I have it turned up because the reactor is packed 😁.

• Thanks 1

I had something similar.  In concept it should work.  The issue is with flow.  Will the reactor be hung on the back our in a cabinet?  If in the cabinet, you have a lot of tubing and additional head pressure needed to pump the water at an adequate flow.  In which case you would need possibly a stronger pump.  

I had an issue of my lights getting too hot and after time cracked the reactor BUT I used white lights.  The lights you show here may not have that issue. 

• Thanks 1