Cultivated Reef

4g Zoa Cube !!!

Reefkid88

14 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I haven't tried this one yet,so I grabbed it to try. That is insane though,I bet it tastes amazing. If I had the patience I would try that lol. 

Lol, I bought it with 3 years already on it, letting it go the extra two wasn't too bad.
I have odd taste though, worked in cellars for the better part of a decade. If you grabbed the arrogant bastard it's good, still quite-hoppy but a pretty large and darker-body. (Stone has black-IPA that's quite interesting too)
The xocovesa is really something else, dark bittersweet mexican chocolate and dark malt-fruit throughout, finishes with a bit of hops and the heat and taste of the chili they used. Not much out there like it, or at least few execute quite as well, fun to let it warm-up (it's a bit of a sipper) as the taste changes quite a bit with temperature.

BarleyWines are wonderful, if you're interested in introducing yourself to one smuttynose makes an english-style xtra old ole "Really old brown dog", it's not super-hoppy like american barley's -nor is it as hit-you-over-the-head intense as barley's in general-, but it's a nice introduction to the style.
Sierra Neveada's bigfoot is supposedly pretty good too (and hoppy), but I've not tried it. Blithering Idiot is great with a year or two on it, or fresh (but english style so less hops).

Damn really ?! I would want to just drink it instead of letting it age. Is it ?! That is one I haven't tried either. I'm a huge IPA guy I love super hoppy beers. None of my friends nor my wife like hoppy beers. They all like shitty Bud Light or Coors Lite 🙄.

I have seen Blithering Idiot but never thought to grab any. I have found a few I like and have stayed on those,this beer is the first new one I have tried in awhile. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Damn really ?! I would want to just drink it instead of letting it age. Is it ?! That is one I haven't tried either. I'm a huge IPA guy I love super hoppy beers. None of my friends nor my wife like hoppy beers. They all like shitty Bud Light or Coors Lite 🙄.

I have seen Blithering Idiot but never thought to grab any. I have found a few I like and have stayed on those,this beer is the first new one I have tried in awhile. 

Ah yeah, the Arrogant is a nice strong ale, heavy hops. Blithering is great, but has less hop-character than Bigfoot or most american-style Barleywines.
Hope you enjoy it, it's definitely going to be different, hadn't considered I might be making suggestions XD

Never cared for american bulk lagers lol, the only time I end up with a 3.4ABV drink these days is if it's a stylized Gose.

When you age stronger, bottle-conditioned ales, the hops act as a preservative and the flavors mature and mellow in a fashion similar to what you'd expect with wine (the hops themselves lose some of their bitterness but "open-up" their underlying pine or citrus, or what-have-you flavors).
Many age american barleywine because some are, by design, just an overwhelming experience fresh (runaway hop, malt, fruit, just almost unpleasantly intense flavors with a heavy alcohol heat)  - whereas some british and more mass-market or niche-styles are meant to be enjoyed fresh or aged.
(Blithering and Bigfoot both fall into the latter category)

• Thanks 1
cheesesteak
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Cigar city Jai Alai is worth checking out then.

CC is also one of the only FL beers I can get and has been my go to. It's delicious but Guayabera is my fav from them. Too many Jai Alai's give me a headache haha 

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is definitely a good brew. The Manho Kush from SW is good,they used terpenes from a kush strain of greenery supposedly and boy does it smell good. Have you tried this brew out ? 

20200801_144502.jpg

That looks delicious. Stone is awesome. 

Now back to regularly scheduled coral programming... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Or just add to the title.  4g cube and Beer!

Oiy, I can ramble lol...

3 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

CC is also one of the only FL beers I can get and has been my go to. It's delicious but Guayabera is my fav from them. Too many Jai Alai's give me a headache haha 

The last time I had something from them was before I moved back on-island, they really only exported the Jai Alia back then and the distributor I was working with was pumped to have access to Fat Tire at the same time lol. Never been able to try the Guayabera, the headache complaint was common even back when I first got it in stock XD, my preference in IPA's is always double/imperial.
Giving the brewers the extra wiggle-room to just do exactly what they want without worrying about what people expect makes for some fantastic brews.
(And I lean towards higher-gravity, darker beers anyway)

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Or just add to the title.  4g cube and Beer!

YES !!! I just may have to do that lol. I'm not nearly as big of a drinker as I used to be. I have to be in the mood,but lately that mood has been very consistent lol. 

3 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

There are so many breweries in FL and in Sanford where I just moved from,about 15 minutes north of me. We went walking and drinking around one night and we counted like 5-6 that judt opened up. This one place called the Cellar has so many good IPA's and Double IPA's. 

I don't have coral lol. So until then this thread is a lounge lol. I did get some MB7,2 parts and carbon today. I have to return the float switch because it doesn't work.. 

• Like 1

So I have been having nothing but problems with this ATO. I don't know if buddy sold me a eff'd up ato or what. I have messaged him trying to reach out letting him know the situation, 2 different times since Saturday and he hasn't been active since the day he sent tracking. 

So,I am patiently waiting. JBJ technical support doesn't arrive until tomorrow. What would you guys do ? In the meantime,more beer !!! 

Tested my water just now and well,nothing has changed. 

NH3-2

NO2-0

NO3-0

MORE MB7 !!!!! 

20200629_202441.jpg

20200524_204019.jpg

20200524_191336.jpg

• Like 2

So this ato is still not replenishing the tank of fresh water. I contacted JBJ spoke with their tech department and I am doing everything to their guide on setting up the system. 

I messaged the seller on R2R numerous times,with no response and he hasn't been active since the day he sent tracking info,so unfortunately I had to file a claim.. So I guess I will be ordering a new ato of some sort.. Maybe. ReefBreeders,idk. 

Cycle news,nothing new to report. Which kinda sucks. I have been dosing MB7 also hoping to get things going a little quicker. 

Man I swear I cannot catch a break this go around... Still no word back from JBJ on if I can get a replacement sensor.. so I may go tomorrow and just buy a Tunze or Duetto ato. 

Now for the lighting.. My controller is shit even though I love the Storm controllers,3 channels won't dim past a certain amount which is incredibly annoying. I went to go swap the WW out for an Ultramarine Blue and the solder pads won't take ant solder.. I swear.. I'm half tempted to get a Prime tomorrow as well and be done with it. 

Still no progress on the cycle. Ammonia is at 2+ still and NO2 & NO3 are still at 0. So tomorrow if I remember I will see if TSA will let me get a tiny piece of rock to throw in the filter. 

1 minute ago, Amphrites said:

Ouch, that's some shoddy luck...

Tell me about it. OH and my soldering iron tip broke lmao fell off in my lap and well I am wearing basketball shorts,so guess where it went... 🤬

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

I live about 40 minutes from TSA and can give you a pc. of rock and some mushrooms if you want them. I also have a nano box duo the only the white channel works I think it is an easy fix., it does not have a power supply but if you want it you can have it. It was only used a month or so before Dave replaced it. It does not have a power supply. Let me know.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I live about 40 minutes from TSA and can give you a pc. of rock and some mushrooms if you want them. I also have a nano box duo the only the white channel works I think it is an easy fix., it does not have a power supply but if you want it you can have it. It was only used a month or so before Dave replaced it. It does not have a power supply. Let me know.

How much are you wanting ? I will be heading out there here shortly (I think they open at 11). 

Just now, debbeach13 said:

I don't want any money. Maybe some day you can give me a zoa frag:) I will PM you my tel. #

Sounds good,I was literally just typing up a pm lol. 

So @debbeach13 was so generous enough to hook me up with a piece of live rock and a NB Duo that needs some love and tlc today. I cannot be happy and appreciative !!! So thank you for the millionth time @debbeach13 you are amazing. 

So stopped by TSA to return something and low and behold they had a Prime 16HD and a metal arm bracket on an open box special. As if it was meant to be !!! So I got that. I stopped WWC and grabbed a Duetto ATO. 

20200808_155903.jpg

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Maybe things are turning around for you. A little jealous of a deal on that 16HD but glad you grabbed it.

I couldn't refuse it honestly. I paid less for the prime and the bracket than the price of a new prime.  

Here soon I am going to order a power supply for the duo,more than likely send my storm in to get it looked at and tonight I am going to take the duo apart and see what is going on with it and get that up and going here soon. 

• Like 2

So I am waiting to hear back from Ben @ Coralux about repairing my Storm controller and also grabbing a 5up board and a 6 channel breakout cord. I'm going to give the Prime a healthy shot,but I can't say I'm 110% satisfied with the color output thus far. I should have gotten the Radion XR15 G5,but the wife wasn't too thrilled on the price lol. I got the whole "I wouldn't say no but I wouldnt be happy either" speech lol.  

That being said,I'm going to rewire my diy light [just to clean up the wiring] to have as backup. 

I used my v3.1 board to replace the busted v3 board on the Duo I was giving and only wired up the royals and violets so that is halfway working. So I have 2 viable options for future ideas. 

• Like 2

Got my DIY light rewired,I feel like I don't have enough voltage to carry the 12th led to power on lol. Its like a giant perfect par bulb. 4 Luxeon Royals,3  "violets",1 mint,1 cool blue,1 cyan,1 ultramarine blue all @ 100%. Its way more white in person,damn cell phones...:

20200812_183648.jpg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Are you going to use it or the 16HD?

The 16hd for now,although I'm not 100% happy with the color it is what it is for now. I might the diy light,I might keep it.