Cultivated Reef

4g Zoa Cube !!!

Reefkid88

7 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

@Amphrites I was thinking just getting 2 aqua lifters,putting them on a dual outlet timer I have and 2 5g buckets one with salt water and a empty one. 

I also want something of some sort of good quality. I don't want something failing while I am gone for a month. That would be terrible. 

I mean, a cheap metered doser from BRS is pretty reliable mechanically, the timer outlets are mechanical and -apart from minor drifting- are pretty accurate too (could go digital).
Mitten has a solid suggestion, I was just thinking a DIY PVC overflow (actual overflow, as in the level has to rise in the tank from the pump dosing saltwater before anything drains) into a bucket in the back and a timer-controlled mix of saltwater dosed into the tank, then you could just mark the waterlevel with a sticky note or something and have your wife top-off with freshwater every-other morning or so.
It would cause tiny salinity-swings so it may not be ideal, but I like budget-simplicity XD

I would rather not,honestly. I would rather not have a algae infested tank whenever I come home lol. I mean for $130 I could have a full auto wc system. 

My wife was saying I can fill your ato reservoir but I don't want to change water lol. 

Aqualifters are like $8 cheaper overall so why not go with something more controllable ? I think its an overall better idea for the X1's since I don't have a sump or anything. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I don't have a sump or anything

I thought you were building a system with a sump...must have gotten your builds confused.  make sure to get the newer x1pro, x1 reviews have been that they lose connectivity and programming with power outage (if it's a big issue around you).  

• Like 1

I was going to,but I was having spacing issues and couldn't accommodate a sump.  

The reviews weren't thaaaat bad that I read on BRS. Either the X1's or AquaLifters. AL aren't bad either,I have never bad a bad one in 10+ years. 

• Like 1

So its done guys,tank will be on auto pilot while I am gone. All my wife will have to do is clean the glass. I will probably keep this for the future use to once I am back. Have the pumps kick on every other day for 1-2 minutes and replenish and take water out at the same time. 20200917_163150.thumb.jpg.b5df4ee7d9500c3254ba95e896d4539b.jpg

• Like 2

@Amphrites its subject to change lol. I have some stuff to scrap from work tomorrow so whatever money I get from that.. well will determine what I get. 

I need the motivation to mount everything though,fml.. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

@Matteo Bro,you usually post the FIYA but the polyps I got today whew !!! At TSA picking up my frag now will post pics when I start to acclimate them !!! 

Looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

So on todays haul,I got:

Psychosis-$30 [1p]

Hyper Jubilee-$20 [2p]

Rainbow Incinerator-$10 [1p]

Hawaiian-$10 [1p]

Agave-$20 [1p]

Petroglyph-$15 [3p]

Jolly Ranchers-$45 [5p] 

2 teasers:

20200919_185010.jpg

20200919_185017.jpg

Also,I have to call them tomorrow because I got Jolly Ranchers which are rainbows and they gave me Candy Apple Pinks which are not..smh... @Top Shelf Aquatics

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Full list of Z/P's at this moment:

Bam Bam's [8p]

Petroglyph's [1p]

Hawaiian's [2p]

Super Siayan's [1p]

Agave's [1p]

Rainbow's [3p]

No name's [10p]

Rainbow Incinerators [1p]

Raptor Rainbows [3p]

Hyper Jubilee's [2p]

Psychosis [1p]

Blondies [1p]

Fruit Loop [2p]

TSA Cookie Monsters [2p]

Purple Monsters [2p]

Sour Punch Morphs [6p]

Utter Chaos [2p]

WWC Ultimate Bubblegum's [3p]

Candy Apple Red's [5p]

Butt Kisser's [3p]

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Heck, get some sticks to rise out of your meadow of zoas and call it stocked XD Going to be so many different colors @_@

Maybe,idk if I want to complicate it now lol. I still have a few must haves on my Z/P list from LC honestly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Maybe,idk if I want to complicate it now lol. I still have a few must haves on my Z/P list from LC honestly. 

I wish shipping weren't so hefty an expense, I can find most of the zoa's I'm interested in, the ones which still functionally exist that is lol -lookin' at you lemonheads-, but shipping means that getting oddballs into one place becomes a silly, silly experience haha.

• Like 1

Did some testing:

NH3-0

NO2-.05

NO3-2

PH-8.2-8.4 

So many frags are already popping out new and open babies,or spreading flesh to pop out more babies. The one I am happy about is the Psychosis !!! 

• Like 2
On 9/21/2020 at 8:32 PM, Amphrites said:

I wish shipping weren't so hefty an expense, I can find most of the zoa's I'm interested in, the ones which still functionally exist that is lol -lookin' at you lemonheads-, but shipping means that getting oddballs into one place becomes a silly, silly experience haha.

LC's shipping isn't terrible. Especially for his prices on frags. Vivid Aquariums is free at $225 or $250 which is pretty cheap,compared to most places. 

37 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

LC's shipping isn't terrible. Especially for his prices on frags. Vivid Aquariums is free at $225 or $250 which is pretty cheap,compared to most places. 

That's all accurate, but all out of my price range, I'm a $5 frag kind of guy, willing to go higher for certain pieces, but I have a few sets of rules I force myself to follow in order to keep the cost of the hobby reasonable. Medical bills are something else these days.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

That's all accurate, but all out of my price range, I'm a $5 frag kind of guy, willing to go higher for certain pieces, but I have a few sets of rules I force myself to follow in order to keep the cost of the hobby reasonable. Medical bills are something else these days.

Shoot normally I am right there with you,I am a CHEAP sum'gun lol. But lately I have been finding deals on frags I could not pass up. Its insane. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

But lately I have been finding deals on frags I could not pass up. Its insane. 

My wallet felt that statement, the truth is painful, painful and light. I've spent more than I should have myself, even let myself break a rule or two.

40 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

My wallet felt that statement, the truth is painful, painful and light. I've spent more than I should have myself, even let myself break a rule or two.

Believe me I know lol if it weren't for my credit card,all of these frags would be at the lfs still lol. 

• Like 1

So my wife calls me,and tells me my ato container got emptied from just one day,which led me to believe something happened with my auto wc thingy. 

I had her check salinity and it was 1.020,so yay. I had her transfer some water out and new water in hoping it will bring the salinity up.

EDIT: Something told me to not trust the auto wc setup without enough time testing it. So its offline. I will just have her do about 4 cup wc every weekend.. 

She said she would make a cup of a little more salty water tomorrow to pump salinity to about 1.022 and slowly get it to 1.024

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys... I miss my tank... I haven't seen it since I left.. 

In other news,I do go home Friday for the weekend !!! I can only imagine the algae that has grown lol my wife says its not bad but her definition and mine of bad/not bad are completely different. 

She has been keeping up with topping the tank off and the salinity has been at 2

.024 since a few days after the ato mishap. 

• Like 2