Coral Vue Hydros

Transferring old coral sand to new aquarium?

Parfitt1234

Parfitt1234
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

This could also be one of the culprit, depending on how dirty it was.  You really don’t want to use old filter media, unlike fresh water. Sorry to for the losses. 

Also surely if they were in the old filter it would be okay? I’m just puzzled and want to make sure everything is ok before purchasing new fish

mitten_reef
57 minutes ago, Parfitt1234 said:

Also surely if they were in the old filter it would be okay? I’m just puzzled and want to make sure everything is ok before purchasing new fish

Well, I’m just picturing that your old filtration media may have been pulled out, left without running water thru, and developed some toxic gas (if it’s nasty) within the media in between transfer.  What type of media are we talking about anyway?  The whole process was a little ambiguous to me, to be honest, looking at your original sand question, no one initially knew what you had running nor how your transferring steps were going to be.  

I think what’s done is done, focus on what’s next now, and how to make it better. I know sometimes people said it’s best to learn from mistakes.  I think in this case, the mistakes may have been the info that we’re not provided initially. 

Parfitt1234

Thank you for your answers. I didn’t rinse them under any old water before transport, it literally took about 5 seconds to put into the new one. It was more like FW filter cartridges ( again this is my first SW and going with the advice from my local fish store ) I will attach pictures to see how my filter looks now. 

the new filter came with an activated carbon pad. And I attached the algae sponge and the old cartridge from the old filter, I also added the ceramic rings from my previous filter aswell.

hope you understand the images lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, Parfitt1234 said:

Thank you for your answers. I didn’t rinse them under any old water before transport, it literally took about 5 seconds to put into the new one. It was more like FW filter cartridges ( again this is my first SW and going with the advice from my local fish store ) I will attach pictures to see how my filter looks now. 

the new filter came with an activated carbon pad. And I attached the algae sponge and the old cartridge from the old filter, I also added the ceramic rings from my previous filter aswell.

hope you understand the images lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok, then my speculation would be incorrect. 😅

I really don’t know anything else that others hadn’t already said. 

Parfitt1234

Ok thank you for your help! I’m presuming it must’ve been some sort of spike off the new rock. The fish store said it had been cured so I put it in. Just upsetting that it happened. I’ve spent so much time looking after them! 

but oh well these things happen. I just want to know what it was. I’m pressuring it must’ve been a spike as my nitrite is still 0.50ppm!

• 2 weeks later...
Parfitt1234

Hello!

So I now successfully have a new tank with two Darwin clownfish and a couple chromis which is doing really well! I’m doing a water change tomorrow and just a quick question about my filter. I still have my old filter sponges attached to my new filter and the new activated carbon cartridge was introduced to the new tank around 2-3 weeks ago. 

shall I replace the big activated carbon filter cartridge tomorrow or would I just been throwing away a load of BB. I’ve had problems with the tank and now that every thing is fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate, I don’t want to mess everything up. 

I will attach pictures of the new filter cartridge so you can see. 
hopefully this makes sense. 

thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Parfitt1234 said:

Hello!

So I now successfully have a new tank with two Darwin clownfish and a couple chromis which is doing really well! I’m doing a water change tomorrow and just a quick question about my filter. I still have my old filter sponges attached to my new filter and the new activated carbon cartridge was introduced to the new tank around 2-3 weeks ago. 

shall I replace the big activated carbon filter cartridge tomorrow or would I just been throwing away a load of BB. I’ve had problems with the tank and now that every thing is fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate, I don’t want to mess everything up. 

I will attach pictures of the new filter cartridge so you can see. 
hopefully this makes sense. 

thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Carbon is not meant to be used for beneficial bacteria. You don't want it to get to that.

Carbon needs to be regularly changed or it becomes a problem.

Most change carbon every 2-3 weeks.

Your filter cartridges are meant as a biological filter for freshwater but you don't want that foe SW. That is what your liverocks are for.

We use filter floss and socks in reefs simply to collect particles. These are switched out twice a week.