Cultivated Reef

Brook, Velvet or ich?

Ash1176

Brook, Velvet or ich? 
i added Euphyllia, pulsing Xenia and 3 trochus yesterday from the Lfs, and tonight I notice the fish like this (pictures below)

on the clown it looks like brook and on the dottyback it looks like ich

i have no other fish, just 3 nassirius snails and a cleaner shrimp

im in Canada so no meds which sucks 

thanks for your help

44DED23A-2B2D-4EAE-B6C6-D2238D695398.thumb.jpeg.87c002af22e279395fdfc44cd5c36753.jpegCCB8407F-18C4-441B-8DB3-F55D0B058CC5.thumb.jpeg.6c03bd6178d0e4fe4f8b34989b3f694c.jpegE2EB4BDB-C2B1-4289-9692-11E9ACEDA5D1.thumb.jpeg.fde10991b289e12f215b2245fd383295.jpegCD4D4B11-09F6-4246-A27F-75F5B55F8E56.thumb.jpeg.bf5e0d83aac49183b7dbdbd245debc97.jpeg

On 7/22/2020 at 7:00 PM, Ash1176 said:

i added Euphyllia, pulsing Xenia and 3 trochus yesterday from the Lfs, and tonight I notice the fish like this (pictures below)

on the clown it looks like brook and on the dottyback it looks like ich

Good you have a solution (I see above) for the immediate problem.  

I still had some other questions in terms of how the tank got to where it was in the opening post.  (An outbreak like this is usually symptom of a larger issue.)

How long has this tank been set up?  And how did you do the setup....dead rock, live rock....?  Please elaborate.

When did the fish go in?  

@mcarroll the fish died the next morning before I had a chance to get everything ready...
Been keeping track of things on my phone so here a list 

May 15: dry scape (Caribsea liferock)

May 20: sand + saltwater 

May 23: ammonia + fritz zyme 9

June 19: cycled 

June 20: caramel clownfish 

July 4: orchid dottyback + scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp + 3x nassirius snails + eagle eye Zoa  

July 21: 3x trochus snails + hammer + pulsing Xenia (added carbon as moved the Zoa and the Xenia was sliming) 

July 22: brook

July 23: clownfish + dottyback dead

water parameters are:

ammonia: 0

nitrite:0

C9A0AB0B-0411-491B-8548-32F317A72055.thumb.jpeg.af3ab2d48018bcba62d038bf8c0621ae.jpeg

• Sad 1
Frag Factory

Sorry for your loss dude, that always sucks!

I've just been through a similar thing, it's always worth having a few meds on hand and a storage container or similar for a cheap QT tank. It might be worth setting up for your next fish.

The fallow period for Brook is 5 weeks, if you add anything in before this time is up you're risking reinfection. 

7 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Sorry for your loss dude, that always sucks!

I've just been through a similar thing, it's always worth having a few meds on hand and a storage container or similar for a cheap QT tank. It might be worth setting up for your next fish.

The fallow period for Brook is 5 weeks, if you add anything in before this time is up you're risking reinfection. 

Thanks! Yeah it always sucks! 
Im in Canada so meds here sadly, I’m setting a qt tank as we speak and going fallow! 

Frag Factory
1 minute ago, Ash1176 said:

Thanks! Yeah it always sucks! 
Im in Canada so meds here sadly, I’m setting a qt tank as we speak and going fallow! 

I'm in the UK, I have the same problem. 

I had to lie to my doctor about going on holiday to Honduras to get Chloroquine and import the rest from the states.

It's probably illegal, international drug smuggling or something 🤣

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

I'm in the UK, I have the same problem. 

I had to lie to my doctor about going on holiday to Honduras to get Chloroquine and import the rest from the states.

It's probably illegal, international drug smuggling or something 🤣

Faking Malaria were we?

• Haha 1

Hahahaha awesome 

yeah once the states re-open and get to a safe level I might try And drive down and stock up, but that might not happen for a while! 

• Like 1
Frag Factory
22 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Faking Malaria were we?

I was just thinking about a trip to a specific part of South America and getting prepared but changed my mind 😂

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 6:58 AM, Ash1176 said:

May 15: dry scape (Caribsea liferock)

May 20: sand + saltwater 

May 23: ammonia + fritz zyme 9

June 19: cycled 

June 20: caramel clownfish

Quick-cycle and drop in the fish.   

That's a common sequence, but it is one that ends in fish-trouble quite frequently.  

In a nutshell, the tank wasn't ready and you weren't really ready.

Best to build your bio-load (and your skills) slowly.  

That means starting with the smallest (eg. snails) and working your way up to the largest (usu. fish)....and taking lots of time between steps to see how each addition affects the tank and have time to react and make changes if needed. 👍

But just two weeks later...

July 4: orchid dottyback + scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp + 3x nassirius snails + eagle eye Zoa  

Most of the most important/"small" foundational critters (herbivores+corals) didn't go in until a month after cycling....but that was already a month too late...

July 21: 3x trochus snails + hammer + pulsing Xenia (added carbon as moved the Zoa and the Xenia was sliming) 

July 22: brook

July 23: clownfish + dottyback dead

...because an opportunist (Brooklynella.  One of The Usual Suspects®.) had been at work the whole preceding month, taking advantage of the nice conditions provided (stressed fish, no competition, minimal  interference) and went to town.  

For the brook, it was a "great success". :eek: 👎

From the history on the parameters...

C9A0AB0B-0411-491B-8548-32F317A72055.thumb.jpeg.af3ab2d48018bcba62d038bf8c0621ae.jpeg

...we see Phosphates had run out sometime before the 4 days shown on the chart.

...we see Nitrate running rapidly down to zero over the 4 days depicted.

...we see salinity and alkalinity swing fairly significantly. 

So the growth/maturation of your live rock would have been stalled or even regressing/dying back.  

Really-live live rock is one of the main interferences you can provide for your fish.  Running a UV filter and/or diatom filter...and even herbal treatments, all fit into the same category of protection. (Interference.)

On 7/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, Ash1176 said:

It doesn't have to be as much a hindrance as it's made out to be IMO.  

The vast majority of med. uses I see are avoidable.  So it's mostly a question of changing behaviors and removing most of the dependency.

For example, more folks know about highly-effective-but-less-invasive treatment techniques like freshwater dips and peroxide dips than I ever remember before.  👍

But how many, out of the whole hobby, are using them?  Of that percent, what sub-percentage is relying on those techniques in a major way?  A very, very small (but significant, for their example) percentage, no matter which way you slice it.

So you can tell that the info necessary to make that change in behavior happen is spreading.  But overall, adoption is slow....and bad, old information never dies on the internet, so it has a kind of momentum.  

But at least the info is out there and not unavailable!!  😉