ReefCleaners.org

Finally got around to an underwater camera

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

I bet you wish I owned a gimbal, or an underwater tripod about now. 🙂

If you want to skip to the zoas they start around the 9:15 mark.

The bright yellow sponge is an encrusting sponge, so is the orange one later. I don't know the species names. 

The brown palys are called "White Encrusting Zoanthids" here, they slime in captivity. They are Palythoa caribaeorum

The fish are Bermuda Chubs, Pinfish, Parrotfish, Surgeonfish, Queen Angels, and Snook. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, johnmaloney said:

I bet you wish I owned a gimbal, or an underwater tripod about now. 🙂

If you want to skip to the zoas they start around the 9:15 mark.

The bright yellow sponge is an encrusting sponge, so is the orange one later. I don't know the species names. 

The brown palys are called "White Encrusting Zoanthids" here, they slime in captivity. They are Palythoa caribaeorum

The fish are Bermuda Chubs, Pinfish, Parrotfish, Surgeonfish, Queen Angels, and Snook. 

John do you think you could collect some of the white encrusting zoas?

Just now, Frozen_Reef said:

John do you think you could collect some of the white encrusting zoas?

They are very slimey and do not do well in captivity. They would likely nuke a tank. I have tried keeping one in the past and that is how it worked out. Everyone I have talked to has had the same experience. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, johnmaloney said:

They are very slimey and do not do well in captivity. They would likely nuke a tank. I have tried keeping one in the past and that is how it worked out. Everyone I have talked to has had the same experience. 

Dang, I got one on pure luck from my LFS and they somehow survived for at least a few months and then my brother killed the tank

• Sad 1

Maybe they just don't like being fragged. Florida law requires I frag them, (underwater, in wave activity area), with tools unsuitable for fragging. The rock they are on is protected. If I luck out and come across one on shell, I will collect a sample. (Never seen it before, might not be looking). If it works I will let you know. They are very common. There are other species too though that look similar, do you know what ocean yours came from? There is a similar species in the Pacific. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Maybe they just don't like being fragged. Florida law requires I frag them, (underwater, in wave activity area), with tools unsuitable for fragging. The rock they are on is protected. If I luck out and come across one on shell, I will collect a sample. (Never seen it before, might not be looking). If it works I will let you know. They are very common. There are other species too though that look similar, do you know what ocean yours came from? There is a similar species in the Pacific. 

Mine was actually not legally collected (LFS owner didnt care which isnt good) from somewhere in the south caribbean. Are there other zoas that you collect? Thinking of doing a biotope for my 5 gallon

I collect them every blue moon, but not usually. Not those zoas either, I usually collect the seagrass zoas from FL, they are very hardy. This species of zoa (Z. pulchellus) needs bright light and high flow to be happy. They like to close up if anything is out of their liking. The seagrass zoanthids (Z sociatus) are hardier. I did collect some Zp  earlier this summer I found upriver. The colony is in very brown brackish water, didn't expect it there. That variety has proven to be pretty hardy in captivity and a fairly fast grower. I muddled all the color out of it though, not sure how I did that. They are under LEDs, maybe I put too much white in the mix. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, johnmaloney said:

I collect them every blue moon, but not usually. Not those zoas either, I usually collect the seagrass zoas from FL, they are very hardy. This species of zoa (Z. pulchellus) needs bright light and high flow to be happy. They like to close up if anything is out of their liking. The seagrass zoanthids (Z sociatus) are hardier. I did collect some Zp  earlier this summer I found upriver. The colony is in very brown brackish water, didn't expect it there. That variety has proven to be pretty hardy in captivity and a fairly fast grower. I muddled all the color out of it though, not sure how I did that. They are under LEDs, maybe I put too much white in the mix. 

Hmm, interesting. I want to go to Florida sooo bad to collect stuff. I've been wanting a clingfish or rusty gobies from KP for a year or so and still no luck

TerraIncognita
1 hour ago, johnmaloney said:

I only barely googled for the law on it but couldn't find it.

Are you allowed to GROW in the local sea area?

Like have you ever thought about or tried to section off an area and grow your own mini reef in the ocean?

Mariculture is regulated to only a few species in FL waters. For the hobby, we can only grow liverock. We are allowed very little fun in that regard. 🙂

• Sad 1
TerraIncognita
16 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Mariculture is regulated to only a few species in FL waters. For the hobby, we can only grow liverock. We are allowed very little fun in that regard. 🙂

Yeah,

I guess if you owned a private house/beach next to a reef area you could try. But I guess like gardening you can’t just grow your flowers in city parks huh? Haha

or just leave an encrusted LR and say they were “hitch hikers” 😂😂😂

As a general rule, the protection is about the species, not the exact area. And I don't think owning a private house means you own the reef near it, in any case. I certainly wouldn't want everyone who owns a beachside house to be able to go take whatever stuff they want from the reef next door.

There are a few species of coral that aren't legal to collect, but are legal to have if they settled on live rock that you're culturing. I have a little starlet coral for that reason, it came in on my rock. 

It's too bad there isn't a "this person is a reasonable person" permit. I think there should be one. If you've been collecting for a few years, have followed all the laws, and a reasonable amount of the stuff you've collected is alive in your or someone else's personal collection, the limits should be loosened a bit to let you get slightly more. We absolutely want non-cultured live rock to be protected, but it wouldn't hurt anything to have a few people who are allowed to take a couple pounds now and then. And I know there would be a market for decades-old live rock. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

Yeah,

I guess if you owned a private house/beach next to a reef area you could try. But I guess like gardening you can’t just grow your flowers in city parks huh? Haha

or just leave an encrusted LR and say they were “hitch hikers” 😂😂😂

Floridians own the ocean. All submerged saltwater land here is open to the public and state owned. 😎

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
12 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Floridians own the ocean. All submerged saltwater land here is open to the public and state owned. 😎

I miss Florida.

lived in Tampa for 6 years.

L.A. Is a hell hole

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Pre-pandemic LA can be a beast to live in. I can't believe how it's like now. Orange County native here. I always loathed having to drive into LA. I always tried to take the train or an express bus if I can help it.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, TerraIncognita said:

I miss Florida.

lived in Tampa for 6 years.

L.A. Is a hell hole

Get up to NorCal IMO lol, Pensacola FL was a great place to live for a few years.
Awesome video.