Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish flashing?

SaltyJ

So I had my two clowns for a day now and I noticed them going up to each other and vibrating which I assume them pairing up. But I seen one kind of took to a certain place by a rock and was picking at it and I seen it "flash" could it be him adjusting to the water parameter or a disease? I did not see any white spots on them and they both look healthy, gobble up food and are very active. Also my parameters are 0 ammonia,  0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, salinity at 1.023, and a ph around 7.7 

If you see it flashing repeatedly throughout the day then it could be gill flukes.  PraziPro is what worked for me when my clowns had them.

It could also be from sand irritation if you have small grained sand in your tank and the particles are getting stirred up and into the clownfish's gills.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, j.falk said:

If you see it flashing repeatedly throughout the day then it could be gill flukes.  PraziPro is what worked for me when my clowns had them.

It could also be from sand irritation if you have small grained sand in your tank and the particles are getting stirred up and into the clownfish's gills.

I do have sand. Could it also be them adjusting to my water parameters?

I also seen then swimming next to each other and bobing up and down while nudging each others bellys. They also have made a pretty big pit in the sand where they have been cleaning the rock.

Well I spoted some white dots on them so apparently its ich. How do you treat ich in saltwater? Can you use the heat method like freshwater fish?

Read this: 

However, please post some pics showing the white dots because many times that turns out to be Brook when dealing with new clownfish: 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Read this: 

However, please post some pics showing the white dots because many times that turns out to be Brook when dealing with new clownfish: 

Pretty sure its ich since I delt with it alot when I kept freshwater fish. There is only two visible dots so far but Ill try and get pictures.

• Like 1

Sand, Brooklynella, "velvet", Ich, Crypto and some other things can all look like what you've described.  If they're digging a pit, then sand seems pretty likely...but that doesn't rule anything out either.

Some pics would be a minimum.

If you had one of these...

image.png.7ccf08f2b3b397fb2de6cfe2c1212613.png

and one of these...

image.thumb.png.edf59a5ff21bf5b2f6b27761e9a1dcc4.png

...I'd be using them both right now while you figure this out.  

If there's only a minor issue gong on (or nothing at all) then you're covered and won't have to do anything else.  

Even if it's more than minor, you'll buy your fish time (while you get this figured out) by significantly reducing the load on their immune systems.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Humblefish said:
10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Sand, Brooklynella, "velvet", Ich, Crypto and some other things can all look like what you've described.  If they're digging a pit, then sand seems pretty likely...but that doesn't rule anything out either.

Some pics would be a minimum.

If you had one of these...

image.png.7ccf08f2b3b397fb2de6cfe2c1212613.png

and one of these...

image.thumb.png.edf59a5ff21bf5b2f6b27761e9a1dcc4.png

...I'd be using them both right now while you figure this out.  

If there's only a minor issue gong on (or nothing at all) then you're covered and won't have to do anything else.  

Even if it's more than minor, you'll buy your fish time (while you get this figured out) by significantly reducing the load on their immune systems.

Well I belive I figured it out. There is no more flashing and it turned out it was just sand on them.

• Like 2

👍 

Stay vigilant so you know if things change.

Consider getting one or both of those filters to have on hand if there are plans for any more new fish.  That goes for whether they are in the display or in a QT tank for observation.  In either case using one (or both) will make an outbreak less likely and will give the fishes immune system more of a chance to rebound. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, mcarroll said:

👍

Stay vigilant so you know if things change.

Consider getting one or both of those filters to have on hand if there are plans for any more new fish.  That goes for whether they are in the display or in a QT tank for observation.  In either case using one (or both) will make an outbreak less likely and will give the fishes immune system more of a chance to rebound. 

Ok i'll look into those. I have been keeping a close eye on them and nothing has developed. I think I may be a little more worried about things since saltwater is new to me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SaltyJ said:

I think I may be a little more worried about things since saltwater is new to me.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

😉

• Haha 1