Cultivated Reef

Is there any fish that can go with a pair of clowns in a 10g?

ColtonDaBest

ColtonDaBest

I've finally got my 10g saltwater tank set up and I plan on getting a pair of clownfish and I've seen conflicting statements on if other fish are possible 

Also if anyone sees this what inverts yall would recomend I'm very excited about starting saltwater 

Inverts yes. 

Any more fish no I wouldn't. Especially since this seems to be your first setup.

The clowns get big and mean quick. 

Just get yourself a pretty pair of designer clowns and you'll be super happy 😊 

• Like 2

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

One could argue that a ten gallon tank is a little small for a pair of clownfish.  While it's likely not impossible to keep another small fish in the same tank, I'd probably just stick with adding inverts.  If the tank is glass, you could keep an urchin.  There are also shrimp and crabs, or maybe a feather duster.

• Like 4
Cencalfishguy56

Welcome to the hobby! As mentioned above, I’d stick to the pair of clowns but look into designer clowns, https://www.seaandreef.com/marine-ornamental-fish/clownfish/. I bought mine from here and they are thriving, plus you don’t run the risk of parasites or infection when buying from a reputable aquacultured seller. If you do get another fish it would have to be a small goby of some sort, don’t make the mistake I did as a new reefer and pack 4 fish in a 10 gallon. As mentioned above, clowns get a decent size and become increasingly aggressive towards fish and your hand lol and they will claim a spot in the tank so in a tank that small you’ll run into problems with territory! One last thing, bioload may pose an issue especially if you haven’t got a good system of checks and balances down, the bioload could cause you many problems such as algae outbreaks. Not saying any of it isn’t possible, just saying make it easy on yourself as a new reefer! Then progress into more challenging scenarios 😁 welcome and upload a build thread so we can all see!

• Like 2
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Not all inverts haha since there are some that get pretty big like carpet anemones, certain sea urchins, and sea stars.

Fortunately, inverts also encompass every coral you see for sale. Once you are comfortable, consider corals that scale to your skill level and time (mostly importantly wallet size). There's all kinds of easier corals and in relation not as easy. If you do choose this route, consider what lighting you have and see if its compatible with whatever coral you're speculating towards.

Other invertebrates can include what previous replies have mentioned. Also, do you have a "clean-up crew" (CUC) yet? If not, then I'd slowly build up to your aquarium's needs. (It's also the wallet-safe approach too).

ColtonDaBest
5 hours ago, ColtonDaBest said:

I've finally got my 10g saltwater tank set up and I plan on getting a pair of clownfish and I've seen conflicting statements on if other fish are possible 

Also if anyone sees this what inverts yall would recomend I'm very excited about starting saltwater 

Well yall have got me hooked now, I just upgraded to a 20 gallons long and I hadn't even stocked the 10 yet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Great! you can make the 10 gallon a hospital tank or a quarantine tank whenever something goes awry or you have a new entry for the 20 long.

I have a 20 long myself. (journal link below...there are text walls...)

• Like 1
ColtonDaBest

5 hours ago, ColtonDaBest said:

33 minutes ago, ColtonDaBest said:

Well yall have got me hooked now, I just upgraded to a 20 gallons long and I hadn't even stocked the 10 yet!

One more thing, I need lighting suggestions, I'm having trouble finding something good and affordable (preferably under 60$) that would ideally not need an upgrade, thanks for all the help!

Are you talking about trying to find a light for the 10 or the 20? If you try the suggested light the spread at best is 18". Your 20L is 30".  You will eventually either add a second one or upgrade to some thing else (then this light can go on the 10 gallon). Unless your happy with keeping coral in the center of the tank because the main reason for getting the 20L was so you could have more fish. 

my 2 clowns kept fighting in my 13gal. i ended up adding a purple firefish and the 3 have been living in peace and harmony ever since. everyone will always tell you "you need XXX gals minimum for XXXX fish", but it is your tank and you look at them daily not us. you'll know whats best.