Innovative Marine Aquariums

Goby compatibility

oli98

Hi all, 

I just set up a 6gal fluval edge as a side project. Currently have a tiny clown goby in there, would he be compatible with a flaming prawn goby if I was to add one? 

Thanks! 

Yes, they should be ok together in a 6gal. Clown gobies usually only become aggressive when kept with others of their kind in too small of a space.

Griessingei gobies (aka flaming prawn gobies or spikefin gobies) are pretty delicate, though. Since your clown goby has already established the tank as its territory, make sure the griessingei goby has places to hide and keep an eye out for any aggression.

Also of note, flaming prawn gobies do not actually pair up with shrimp. 

I had flaming prawns with black clown gobies in a 12 gallon with no trouble.  The clowns stuck to the rockwork and top of the water column.  The flaming prawns stuck to the sand and occasionally climbed the back wall.  I never saw them interact or take notice of each other.

The fluval looks like a short tank, so they will be a bit closer together, but I think it should still be ok. 

Good luck finding the flaming prawns, they were hard to get in normal times, and I haven't found any in stock since I started looking again. 

On 7/15/2020 at 1:34 AM, sublunary said:

I had flaming prawns with black clown gobies in a 12 gallon with no trouble.  The clowns stuck to the rockwork and top of the water column.  The flaming prawns stuck to the sand and occasionally climbed the back wall.  I never saw them interact or take notice of each other.

The fluval looks like a short tank, so they will be a bit closer together, but I think it should still be ok. 

Good luck finding the flaming prawns, they were hard to get in normal times, and I haven't found any in stock since I started looking again. 

Thanks for sharing your experience! Yes, very hard to find. Although I found a retailer in Manchester that has one in stock, they are just expensive!

Yep. It's a very small fish (meaning hard to find and difficult to catch), so collectors don't tend to get them often, so they aren't for sale often. They're pretty, though. I hope someone figures out how to captive-breed them, and also those gorgeous white-cap gobies.