Coral Vue Hydros

3g Fluval --> 30L Nuvo

Littlest Reef

mitten_reef
14 minutes ago, Littlest Reef said:

On the Tunze 9004 skimmer, I want to run it in the center chamber. With the Y split from the single pump, it doesn't fit. Has anyone run this with 2 mighty jets, presumably building some redundancy in and making room for the skimmer?

since 9004 has a top intake, your water level should be really steady to put in the center chamber (tight ATO tolerance, maybe optical vs float switch).  Otherwise, it'd also draw air thru that intake as well, iirc.  

I ran mine briefly in the second chamber (either side are the same size), and it fits perfectly. So one side can be heater, and the other skimmer.  just my take on it. 

Littlest Reef

@mitten_reef thanks, do you have the 9004? It doesn't seem to fit in 2/4. I was planning on using the Tunze 3155 for ATO. I did read some posts here that center chamber could be an issue with water level fluctuation, but if I run it in the outer intake chambers I dont think I'll get a good skim. 

I have some time here because if I can get water in it by this weekend I am not going to turn the skimmer on for a bit anyway as I am using Dr. Tims to cycle. Just waiting on some jurassic gel to do the scape. 

mitten_reef
11 minutes ago, Littlest Reef said:

@mitten_reef thanks, do you have the 9004? It doesn't seem to fit in 2/4. I was planning on using the Tunze 3155 for ATO. I did read some posts here that center chamber could be an issue with water level fluctuation, but if I run it in the outer intake chambers I dont think I'll get a good skim. 

I have some time here because if I can get water in it by this weekend I am not going to turn the skimmer on for a bit anyway as I am using Dr. Tims to cycle. Just waiting on some jurassic gel to do the scape. 

yup, that's the one I have, not the DC one tho, doubt if that make any difference.  the intake has to face chamber 1, and have the "outside" magnets out in the center chamber, I think.  their magnets are all the same, so shouldn't matter if you have them under water.  if you don't run a full-height media basket, then you might be able to keep the "outside" magnet in chamber 1 and intake face opposite.  I hope that makes sense. 

Littlest Reef

That is strange, maybe the models changed? The dimensions on the 9004 I have are 4.3L x 3.5W. Per the 30l manual, chambers 2 and 4 are 3.9" W and L. It does fit in 1/5, but not 2/4. Dimensionally I am excluding the magnets. 

mitten_reef
54 minutes ago, Littlest Reef said:

That is strange, maybe the models changed? The dimensions on the 9004 I have are 4.3L x 3.5W. Per the 30l manual, chambers 2 and 4 are 3.9" W and L. It does fit in 1/5, but not 2/4. Dimensionally I am excluding the magnets. 

many apologies....just went downstairs to try to mock the skimmer....I have terrible memory!  it def won't fit there.  Sorry for the confusion!

maybe that's why I was more concerned about water level in the center return chamber.  😅

Littlest Reef

Yes, I think I am going to grab a 2nd mightyjet and undo the Y connection. I may not even need the 2nd gyre. Btw the packaging and general presentation of the RW 25 is awesome. 

Hopefully water in and cycling by this weekend. 

• Like 1

You can certainly run two pumps for redundancy.  Alternatively, you can just as easily replace the tubings and have one longer, one shorter and thereby pushing a single pump a bit more to one side of the center chamber.  

looks like a great start!  Be sure to keep us updated.  I’m really interested in the review of the ReefWave.

Jeff

Littlest Reef

I began messing with the rock tonight. I have a lot of reef saver foundation and shelf rock. The shelf is doing it for me. Jurassic gel drying thanks to 4 lbs of Kalk holding things together.

4936D51D-6826-416C-98F4-39CF94C88B5C.jpeg

• Like 1
Littlest Reef

Well I jinxed the 3 gallon. Was just discussing with my wife that we’ll have to consider what to do with our azure damsel when the 30 is set up, because it will likely harass whatever else goes in except maybe clowns. After an afternoon at the beach we got home and “glowey” had jumped out, and unfortunately my 4 year old was the one time find him. That was a rough way to learn about life and death for the first time. This morning she was pretty much over it and is now hell bent on a purple dottyback. 

Littlest Reef

Tank has water. Excuse the wire, the gap to run them to the cabinet is small enough that I had to wire the skimmer before installing it, so it is sitting off screen. 

C234C6F0-EE3B-4BD9-A959-9FC52562CA58.jpeg

014D50DF-3EEB-48D9-9CFB-077AD71A2AC7.jpeg

DBEDC2F5-F986-43B0-8F41-63BB61334CDF.jpeg

Littlest Reef

Big fan of Jurassic gel and the shelf rock. By spritzing RO water on the joints was able to get an extremely hard bond. The main piece is a ledge overhand that looks like a pile of rocks but is not actually connected so I can move them apart if need be.

9B84325A-51C2-4C7E-B193-69D3CAC1D3CA.jpeg

• Like 1
Littlest Reef

Update on these tanks:

3 gallon has had a pod explosion Since the damsel died. I am still thinking through what to do with this tank, but it may make sense to go zoa garden only and keep it as a pod source for the 30 gallon. Also, tiny snail has emerged I think might be a baby spiny astrae? Also, Duncan coral may have been stung by the octospawn which I have relocated. Looking like a half deflated balloon.

Mighty jet and ATO arrive for the 30 today. Tank has settled out but even at 20% power the reef wave is creating the swale in the front of the tank which may be a problem until I get a second gyre.  Seeing if spin streams on the returns fixes it.

D7F8334F-EEC6-4651-8F38-C05927EE1F57.jpeg

91EA1336-E6C2-41FE-B760-3F093412688C.jpeg

0FA6D0DC-D6C7-4E69-80AD-6BDDC262D997.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Littlest Reef

30 gallon done cycling. Have a 12 gallon bookshelf Mr Aqua arriving tomorrow for the contents of the 3 gallon which sprung a leak and then completely let go. Everything is still alive. Added Mocha Vinci pair to the 30 today, just have to organize the cabinets next. Looking into doing something with mangroves in the 12 gallon.

0BB185B9-CAD4-4C32-A1B1-169AF83904EE.jpeg

7D141C70-CF3D-4508-BB5E-76841FD18C72.jpeg

What is your opinion now on the reefwave?  I'm putting together the same tank, and I was looking at the reefwave, but there are not a lot of reviews on it for a tank like ours.  Is the sand moving still an issue?

Littlest Reef

I like it but right now I can only speak to initial impressions on flow and quality. Need to get corals in the tank to have the full experience. So far I will say the overall quality of the pump and the controller is very good, I also don’t mind the RS app. Flow wise for a tank this size it seems like it will be more the sufficient for LPS and softies. Anything above 20% and the clowns are blowing all over the tank. I’m not sure if I’ll add another one to the other end at least until down the road if I add SPS. It’s very easy to disassemble and clean, and it is very quiet. The pulse can’t really be heard at all in a room unless you have everything off and you’re listening for it, and even then it’s more of a low rumble. The break in period for the spin streams on the return is about 10x louder than this pump at full bore. 

Littlest Reef

The shelf rock is great for a long narrow tank because breaking it into narrow pieces is very easy with a hammer and chisel. I have never done any work with rock, whenever I had FO tanks I just threw it in there, and I was able to achieve something pretty nice looking in 30 mins or so. Actually making a fourth structure for the tank now. 

AF4C84CC-5B1B-4EC0-A3C1-0D03EB5DF637.jpeg

On 8/20/2020 at 2:16 PM, Littlest Reef said:

I like it but right now I can only speak to initial impressions on flow and quality. Need to get corals in the tank to have the full experience. So far I will say the overall quality of the pump and the controller is very good, I also don’t mind the RS app. Flow wise for a tank this size it seems like it will be more the sufficient for LPS and softies. Anything above 20% and the clowns are blowing all over the tank. I’m not sure if I’ll add another one to the other end at least until down the road if I add SPS. It’s very easy to disassemble and clean, and it is very quiet. The pulse can’t really be heard at all in a room unless you have everything off and you’re listening for it, and even then it’s more of a low rumble. The break in period for the spin streams on the return is about 10x louder than this pump at full bore. 

Very nice. Thank you for the feedback.  I just ordered one for my setup as well. 

Littlest Reef

Weird series of events unfolded:

• 12 gallon started a cycle that was beyond what I expected - ammonia, nitrite went through the roof. My best guess is the new sand had decaying material in it. I came home and found my gold octo ejecting zoo/waste and everything closed. 30 gallon having been up for 30 days, I figured better to move them in there then try and ride out this cycle. Everything was acclimated and moved over to the 30.
  • I don't have a light yet, so I am using 2 A80 tuna blues for now. I figure this is enough light to keep everything alive till my Ap9X arrives. 
  • On flow, I had a logistical issue where I wanted to run two mighty jets for redundancy but didnt have a place for the skimmer, and then once I had the second mighty jet I had too much flow even on the RW25's lowest setting. Corals and fish all getting rocked with flow. I ended up running it in reverse full time, but given the size of this pump and the real estate it takes up in the tank, I may sell it and pick up an MP10. @jws0318 I would still recommend this pump, it's purely because I have a ton of flow on the returns already. 
  • I am getting the intank overflow clip-on baffles to raise the water level, and removing the filter sock for a floss insert. I hate cleaning the sock, it is very difficult to turn it inside out.
  • Began running the UV as I am expecting an algae explosion with lights on. 
25 minutes ago, Littlest Reef said:
  •  

i did end up picking up a new reefwave, but the controller is not working.  RedSea is supposedly sending me a replacement.  brand new out of the box and it doesnt work...it left a bad taste, so i also ordered a MP10.