ReefCleaners.org

A good pump for my reef tank ?

Jorge091293

Are you asking if all of them listed can be used in combination?  If the answer is yes, then that's alot of pumps for a 25 gal.  Any of the two would be good.

-Jeff

MP10 - tried and true standard for aesthetics and functionality.  Wish the flow was a bit wider and aim can be adjusted.  Expensive

Nero5 - seems to have good reviews at an affordable price point.  Aim can be adjusted.  Only works on thinner glass (< 10mm?). And cord is in the tank.

Red Sea ReefWave - gyre pump.  Not quite a lot of reviews, is based on the Maxspect XF pumps.  Looks like they've made improvements to the cleaning of the pump.  Pump produces wave that is broad and is reversible (though this seems to be pretty weak).  Wire is in the tank.

It's your call! 😉

14 hours ago, Jorge091293 said:

24 x20x12 

25 gallon sps zoa tank 

In a 12" high tank, I'm not sure you'll appreciate any of those super-wide flow pumps since they will want to push your sand to the other side of the tank when you get them up to speed.

At 24x20 you have plenty of area to cover with flow though (480 sq in!)...IMO a perfect tank for a pair of Tunze Turbelle nanostream's...

image.png.cc3f10f5a913514ebb91a98cb2d384fc.png

...either the 6015, 6025 or 6045 would be my pick.  None of those models are controllable, but the 6045 flow is adjustable...and all are excellent values. (Even the biggest one is only $75...and a pair of the smaller models is only $80-100.) and come with 2 year warranties.  The 6045 is probably my all time favorite pump.  The 6055 is controllable, but also costs $189...not worth it on such a small tank IMO....but your mileage may vary, as the saying goes...maybe it's worth it to you.  The 6055 is a kick-butt pump – a pair could run up to a 48" tank.  

You will want a pair of whichever pump you end up picking.

Check out the IM wavelink. I had it in my lagoon 25g, and now in my 12g (24x12x10) with a small HOB filter and it does a great job. I have it on 1/9 for speed and it's enough. My tank is a softie tank with leathers and you can see some decent polyp movement. They love the flow. Pump is quiet, plus it's wayyyyy cheaper than a MP10 (desktop size is about 99$ I think). They also have the midsize. I've had mine for over a year and no issue so far. I dont like Jebao, they kept breaking on me lol.

Jorge091293

I’ll check them out 

So many choices out there don’t even know where to haha but thanks for pointing me in the rigth direction 

2 hours ago, Jorge091293 said:

I’ll check them out 

So many choices out there don’t even know where to haha but thanks for pointing me in the rigth direction 

Haha yeah I know so many options.  Although in my case the MP10 was never an option, since I couldn't bring myself to spend 400$ CAD on a single pump lol, so I pulled the trigger on the wavelink and am happy with it. There's also the Aqamai pump, you control it via its app, I've read the app itself can be glitchy.