TerraIncognita

Clam? Coral? Invert?

TerraIncognita

I originally thought this was a ricordea.....

But Now I'm not so sure....

The girl at the LFS on Sunday was a "fill in" and didn't know any of the corals I bought.

It balled up last night when I put him in, now he's here..... whatever s/he/it is......

You can see in the first photo he has a pink soft underside.

large.2F31F9EE-A2E6-4386-B294-61EB0832ED25.jpeg.ea28f577063a90859dcd1abfbeb48219.jpeglarge.6A32C9CA-99D0-48EA-A9E0-82765D4EF897.jpeg.ef754ea69dc0b67e3d078e6fed7a365d.jpeg

hinnenkm

Looks like a carpet anemone my mistake after seeing the post below. Maxi mini is exactly it and the name didn't come to me, although a maxi mini is a type of carpet anemone 🙂

• Like 4

jservedio

It's 100% an anemone and it looks like Maxi-Mini Anemone to me. Very hardy and easy to keep. Their sting isn't very strong, many corals can live extremely close/touching them, and they don't normally get over 6" across fully grown. They are a really good nem to get lucky with at the LFS - they tend to come in bad looking/brown and then get extraordinary coloring.

For example, one of mine looked just like yours when I got it and this is what it looks like now - when they color up, they really color up:

maxi-mini-dslr2.thumb.jpg.37f6477197e21ef817a07bd7b22b91f9.jpg

• Like 3

TerraIncognita

5 minutes ago, jservedio said:

It's 100% an anemone and it looks like Maxi-Mini Anemone to me. Very hardy and easy to keep. Their sting isn't very strong, many corals can live extremely close/touching them, and they don't normally get over 6" across fully grown. They are a really good nem to get lucky with at the LFS - they tend to come in bad looking/brown and then get extraordinary coloring.

For example, one of mine looked just like yours when I got it and this is what it looks like now - when they color up, they really color up:

WOW! It looks exactly like that Maxi-Mini Nem. I knew it wasn't a normal Carpet as I have had carpets before.

That's awesome. So should I specifically feed it, or just let it live off the normal feedings.

jservedio
2 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

WOW! It looks exactly like that Maxi-Mini Nem. I knew it wasn't a normal Carpet as I have had carpets before.

That's awesome. So should I specifically feed it, or just let it live off the normal feedings.

In the 5-ish years I've had my two, I've fed them maybe a dozen times - they do fine without feeding. If you happen to be feeding LPS or other nems, you can feed them, but they don't need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TerraIncognita
32 minutes ago, jservedio said:

In the 5-ish years I've had my two, I've fed them maybe a dozen times - they do fine without feeding. If you happen to be feeding LPS or other nems, you can feed them, but they don't need it.

Thanks a lot!

jservedio
1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

Thanks a lot!

No problem, only word of caution is that while they play nice with your corals, they are extremely sticky and can be fish eaters - they will have no problem eating a tiny goby or something similar if they perch on the nem. I had a clown goby get eaten by the one in the picture. Bigger fish are no issue at all.

Tired

A clown goby? That's interesting, they seem to be immune to a lot of stinging things. I've seen plenty of pictures of them sitting in BTAs and the like. Was it sickly at the time? 

jservedio
19 hours ago, Tired said:

A clown goby? That's interesting, they seem to be immune to a lot of stinging things. I've seen plenty of pictures of them sitting in BTAs and the like. Was it sickly at the time? 

Yep - it was looking perfectly healthy to me, which is why it surprised me. IME, they are a little less aggressive with eating fish and shrimp compared to an elephant ear mushroom, but eat fish they do.

I've never had an RBTA eat a living healthy fish before.

hinnenkm
On 7/13/2020 at 12:20 PM, jservedio said:

maxi-mini-dslr2.thumb.jpg.37f6477197e21ef817a07bd7b22b91f9.jpg

Thanks for clarifying! I had not remembered the name in my previous post. This is a gorgeous anemone!!