ReefCleaners.org

When should I complete my first partial water change? + Why is there a weird “film” on the surface of the water?

Aspen

Hello! 

I am a new betta owner, and am stuck on when to do my first partial water change. 

I set up my tank around 8 days ago (June 5th) and added my fish 5 days ago (June 8th). I remember reading that you should wait to complete your first water change until your cycle is complete. Is this correction information? If so, how can I tell if the cycle is complete? 

Also, my tank currently has this weird “film“ covering the surface of the water, and there are bubbles on the surface. This is making me think that it needs to be cleaned, and I don’t know if this is harmful to my betta or not. Should this be a concern? 

Thank you so much in advance! 🙂

———————————

These are my results from testing the water:

pH = 8ish

Ammonia = somewhere between 0-0.25 ppm

Nitrite = 0 ppm

Nitrate = 0 ppm (maybe ever so slightly higher)

Other info: 

• Using the five gallon fluval spec v tank

• Using the API freshwater master test kit + API 5 in 1 test strips

• I previously added pH down to my tank but it hasn’t seemed to do anything 

• I added tetra SafeStart to my tank on June 7th

• My water got cloudy after adding the tetra SafeStart and after 4 days it went away 

• A paper towel feel into my tank for a couple seconds a couple days ago 😳

To answer your question water changes start after your tank is cycled. I do not want to be mean but did you do any research at all? With out going into all of the "how to set up a tank instructions" I will just say. NO FISH until tank has cycled and ammonia burns the fish gills. So your fish is suffering and yes you should be concerned!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not want to be mean but did you do any research at all?

Probably not if you join a saltwater reefing forum to ask questions about your freshwater setup🤣.. 

But honestly it is really hard for me to tell the difference between a zero reading and .25 reading with the API kit 

• Like 1

One possibility:  Male bettas create bubble nests on the top of the water so female bettas can lay their eggs.

The weird film could also be from too much food polluting the water and giving the water's surface an "oil slick" appearance.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.20.50 AM.png

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

But honestly it is really hard for me to tell the difference between a zero reading and .25 reading with the API kit 

Agreed. Maybe I am just a bit grouchy, cabin fever setting in. I suppose the fish is better off than sitting in a cup on a shelf at the store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

To answer your question water changes start after your tank is cycled. I do not want to be mean but did you do any research at all? With out going into all of the "how to set up a tank instructions" I will just say. NO FISH until tank has cycled and ammonia burns the fish gills. So your fish is suffering and yes you should be concerned!

I actually did a lot of research but apparently not very well. I thought that you just had to run your tank for 24-48 hours before you add your first fish. Maybe I miss understood that. Do you think I should leave my fish in the tank or take it out? And besides water changes and chemicals is there any other way to lower ammonia? I’m so sorry, I probably seem like such an idiot right about now!! 🤦‍♀️ This is how you can tell I’m an actual beginner. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Probably not if you join a saltwater reefing forum to ask questions about your freshwater setup🤣.. 

Yeah umm.... I thought I was going good and being prepared but I can’t even go to the right forum! I didn’t know this was saltwater reefing. I’m sorry!! 

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, j.falk said:

One possibility:  Male bettas create bubble nests on the top of the water so female bettas can lay their eggs.

The weird film could also be from too much food polluting the water and giving the water's surface and "oil slick" appearance.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.20.50 AM.png

Okay! Thanks so much! There aren’t that many bubbles in a cluster, just small bubbles around the area. And the film it does remind me of an oil slick appearance. Am I just suppose to clean the tank to get rid of that? Thank you so much again! 

19 minutes ago, Aspen said:

Okay! Thanks so much! There aren’t that many bubbles in a cluster, just small bubbles around the area. And the film it does remind me of an oil slick appearance. Am I just suppose to clean the tank to get rid of that? Thank you so much again! 

Yep...time for a water change...and lower your water line...you might have the tank too full.

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Aspen said:

Yeah umm.... I thought I was going good and being prepared but I can’t even go to the right forum! I didn’t know this was saltwater reefing. I’m sorry!! 

Ha no your good I was just messing with ya🤗. Actually there are a lot of friendly folks here who have all sorts of tanks .. even the non salty variety.  You will be able to find what you need here. And who knows maybe you will get converted to the salt side of the hobby😎

Good luck 🤙😎

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Ha no your good I was just messing with ya🤗. Actually there are a lot of friendly folks here who have all sorts of tanks .. even the non salty variety.  You will be able to find what you need here. And who knows maybe you will get converted to the salt side of the hobby😎

Good luck 🤙😎

Whew! Haha, maybe I will!! 🤪 Thank you so much FISHnChix!! Have a great day. 😊

6 minutes ago, Aspen said:

Whew! Haha, maybe I will!! 🤪 Thank you so much FISHnChix!! Have a great day. 😊

You should google how to cycle a freshwater tank. Very easy. Essentially add bacteria,  add ammonia source and wait for bacteria to reproduce.  Can take weeks...Obviously you dont do that with a fish .. 

Look into seachem prime. It's great to have on hand just incase of ammonia spikes..

That oil slick on top of your tank is most likely due to lack of surface agitation.  Try and adjust your pumps to move the surface of the water more. 

• Thanks 1

Just do water changes to keep ammonia low. Bettas come in uncyled little cups so it's probably better off in the tank anyways.

A paper towel just lightly dabbed across the top can soak up some of the film. It's from low flow but bettas don't like a ton of flow anyways.

If the fluval has a bottom grate you can block that and more water goes over the top which helps filter out the film.

Be sure you have an appropriate heater and filter media of some sort. I would probably run a tiny bag of carbon (helps with water clarity) and a sponge or matrix or some such for bacteria to grow on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Aspen beginners and fresh water are more than welcome here. Many members keep fresh and salt, some just fresh. Bettas are popular around the world. Forgive my snippy post. As you can see there are plenty that will help you here.

Welcome to NR. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Aspen beginners and fresh water are more than welcome here. Many members keep fresh and salt, some just fresh. Bettas are popular around the world. Forgive my snippy post. As you can see there are plenty that will help you here.

Welcome to NR. 

No worries!! ☺️ Yes, there are! Thank you so much! 

• Like 1