ReefCleaners.org

Hair algae eating inverts

Clownfish king

Clownfish king

I need some inverts for my hair algae it started developing during vacation come back 2 weeks later and see my 10 gal has some algae in it and I test my nitrate and it’s at 10/20 range! And that’s when I see a my jumbo nassarius eating a long dead hermit crab. And also no one had done a change in two weeks. So I’m working on that. But for now so it does not get out of control I need some ideas. 

1 hour ago, Clownfish king said:

Is anyone gonna answer

You want to pull it out so its short, as snails have a hard time eating anything long.

If your tank is 10g??? I would pull the algae out so its short and start with some trochus and cerith snails and 1-2 hermits. Emerald crabs are another some people like. Keep in mind crabs can be awesome or go rogue. The female emeralds stay smaller and are easy to ID. 

Trochus snails for general cleaning, they can right themselves if they flip over and they can defend themselves from hermit crabs. I also keep ceriths as well as they go under the sand which helps turn it over a bit. I usually end up with a little mix of everything (depending on tank size) since different snails can fill in a different niche. Emerald crabs have claws adapted to eat algae and will do so greedily but are capable of picking at corals if the algae runs out so you would want to feed them once the algae is gone. I also would not put them with very tiny fish. 

If what you have is bryopsis and not regular ol GHA, well... it must not taste good as a lot of things will avoid it unless desperate which means manual removal or reef flux. 

Worth mentioning, is that tuxedo urchins and mexican turbo snails are good for GHA as well but they may not be appropriate for a tank as small as 10g. 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
10 hours ago, Clownfish king said:

Thanks for the answers!

Let us know how it goes, I also manually remove larger strands and suck them up while doing water changes 

On 7/14/2020 at 3:48 AM, Cencalfishguy56 said:

Get yourself Mexican turbo snails from reef cleaners, I have one that demolished long strands of hair algae

If you get Mexican Turbo's, don't let your tank go over 78, they start to struggle. 82F and they are toast. There are some Turbo's that can take the higher temperatures, but it is hard to tell them apart. 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
7 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

If you get Mexican Turbo's, don't let your tank go over 78, they start to struggle. 82F and they are toast. There are some Turbo's that can take the higher temperatures, but it is hard to tell them apart. 

True, I keep my tank at 78 religiously, he’s been thriving for a while in my tank, keeping him in the sump currently to knock out some patches of algae

Clownfish king
On 7/15/2020 at 8:30 AM, DSA65PRO said:

Thanks a lot! But sadly I lost my 2 zoas to the algae (it literally grew all over the 2 frags) so yeah going to get the CUC as soon as possible! Besides when I got the zoas they looked like they could die any second I finally think there ok and started to grow out and BOOM a week later they be dead.

• 4 weeks later...

Can confirm nothing wants to eat bryopsis. 😞  My tiger conch seems to munch it a little but well, he kinda sucks at getting anywhere off the sand bed.  Bryopsis is the devil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, mndfreeze said:

Can confirm nothing wants to eat bryopsis. 😞  My tiger conch seems to munch it a little but well, he kinda sucks at getting anywhere off the sand bed.  Bryopsis is the devil.

Not the devil.   Do you have a thread for it yet?  Tag me or send a link when you make a thread.