Top Shelf Aquatics

IM 30L sps dominated mixed reef

Dolphins18

Whats up guys, been a while but ive been reefing all these years none the less. Just moved into a new apartment in the city and decided to start a nano. I still have my other tank, unfornately having it built into the wall there is not a whole I can do as the house just sold. I bought the tank about a year ago and just filled it these past few days. It is a gorgeous tank I highly recommend and I hope this thread can bring you new ideas and something to follow for newcomers. 

Tank: Innovative marine 30L. 

Lighting: 2 x Current USA IC orbits pros + Aqua illumination Hydra 32HD. Ill talk later about this, but I strongly suggest it for this tank. PAR readings are incredibly flexible based on whatever you want to do with your tank, and its all controlled by your phone! 

Skimmer: Tunze 9001 DC (fits perfectly in the middle chamber with plenty of room if you upgrade the pump.) Also, the non DC version is a bit cheaper, but is not controller. Its well worth the extra 50 bucks. 

Reactor: IM (not the best, not really sure if it will be sufficient yet, but it fit perfect.) 

Media: Nothing at the moment but filter floss as shes cycling. But will likely go with chemi pure, purigen, and GFO in reactor. 

Will add a fuge a few months down the line. Intank makes a great one, along with many other great products

Substrate: Arag Alive fiji pink.

Flow: Current usa 6001 (1025 gph max) these tanks are difficult as they are so shallow. Stock return ( any upgrade suggestions that will fit in the middle chamber would be awesome.) The stock Mightyjet isn't bad though, its controllable and fairly powerful. 

Rock:  34 lbs deco rock from Gulfliverock. Impressive, not full of much life, but theres a few things that could make it back if they survive the next month. The rock itself is gorgeous. Amazing coloration. No pests seen after 24 hours so that's nice. 

Controller: Simple CURRENT USA Bluetooth controller monitors temp, as well as controller pumps and lights. It's not that popular but its a cheaper option and im quite pleased. 

The lights are running about 15% with the AI off in this photo, you don't want much light if any in the early stages. It's not necessary. 

Thursday1stday.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Looks good, welcome back. You’ll probably need a second wave maker on the opposite side once you start stocking with corals. The only wave makers solution that is useable long term alone by itself for me is the gyre 1K.  Any other ones I tried, I needed one on each side. 

I was hoping if i could find a strong enough return pump to prevent that, we will see. I have so much live stock to move from a 90g in the next 2 months, and of course not everything can come. Things been up and running a reef for 15 years in September. 😞

• Wow 1
mitten_reef
24 minutes ago, mark1234 said:

I was hoping if i could find a strong enough return pump to prevent that, we will see. I have so much live stock to move from a 90g in the next 2 months, and of course not everything can come. Things been up and running a reef for 15 years in September. 😞

That’s gonna be quite a downsizing. Gonna be tough choosing who gets to stay. 
I run my mighty jet out of one nozzle. I blanked out the other return on the back side just by twist the elbow upward. This way the mightyjet doesn’t interfere with the sheet of water coming out of the gyre. You could set up similarly, but in your case, the mightyjet would take care of much of the flow on one side, and your power head on the other. Just throwing some ideas out there.