Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oversized Tank On Stand

Chris O

Hi All,

So I recently received a stand as a gift and I’m planning to upgrade my nano tank to either an IM 25g lagoon or IM 20g fusion. I would love to do the 25g lagoon but the stand I have is rated for 250lbs and the dimensions are 27.5 x 15.7. The 25g fusion fits length wise but front to back its 19.68 inches, so it would overhang. Would this pose as a structural issue and put stress on the tank/cause damage? Has anyone done this before? 

Yes, it will put stress on the tank. Will it break? I don't know. If it does, it will probably do so fairly spectacularly, given that you're talking about a good 4 inches of overhang. If it was 1/4 inch, you'd probably be fine. 4, I seriously question. 

Consider thinking about ways you could extend the stand, in the back where people can't see it. Or trade it for another one. Or just go with the smaller tank.

• Like 2
Elizabeth94

Too much overhang imo. Best fitment would have all four corners on the stand. I imagine the stress may take a little bit before the tank would burst. So don’t assume it will work long term if you have it filled for a few days. 

Still, I never tried. I could be wrong. But I agree with above. Try extending the stand or go for something different. 

• Like 2

I would not do this with 4 inches. That is a lot of downward pressure on the edges of the glass where it is not supported and also on the silicone itself. You will receive no type of warranty. 

It could bust open any time. A proper stand is a small investment vs the cost of the livestock. 

If you can get a flat thick board or slab of counter top and attach it to the top of your stand to fix the dimensions but...

You may be close to the 250 mark though depending how much live rock and sand you add.

20 lbs of salt water is about 175lbs plus the rock..sand... equipment.. and the weight of the glass tank itself.

• Like 2

All four corners of a tank need to be supported.

When a tank isn't properly supported its not about if but when a problem will occur.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, Chris O said:

Hi All,

So I recently received a stand as a gift and I’m planning to upgrade my nano tank to either an IM 25g lagoon or IM 20g fusion. I would love to do the 25g lagoon but the stand I have is rated for 250lbs and the dimensions are 27.5 x 15.7. The 25g fusion fits length wise but front to back its 19.68 inches, so it would overhang. Would this pose as a structural issue and put stress on the tank/cause damage? Has anyone done this before? 

With a traditional glass tank, you can support the edges (the plastic trim, usually) and not the center.

With a rimless tank, especially an acrylic rimless, you need to have uniform support across the whole bottom.

So the overhang as you describe it may be a deal breaker.

But (in that case) can the stand be modified to provide that necessary support?  That is a question that may be more dependent on you than the stand.  Post a pic of the empty tank on the stand and we might offer some thoughts on the possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to just keep it simple and go with the Fusion 20g. The tank fits perfectly on the stand I think giving up the 5g's extra I would have had saved myself a big headache and lots of returns. Still really excited to setup this tank! I'll post pictures when it's done. (Apologies for going radio silent, work has been very busy)

• Like 2