Top Shelf Aquatics

Baby Brittle Star?...Add to tank?

dnadrifter

dnadrifter

The pictured hitchhiker came with some Ricordeas I got into today.  I assume based on pictures I have seen and some quick research this is a baby brittle star and safe to add into the tank?  Can anyone confirm?

_P2A4264.jpeg

That looks like one of the micro brittles that will stay that small. I'd keep it, I think they're a great part of the ecosystem

dnadrifter

great.  thanks for the confirmation.   I got two....well actually 3, but the third came out with dip so didn't make it.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Micro brittles, yep. Beneficial detritivores. Can theoretically overpopulate if the tank is hugely overfed. You'll see them occasionally, in the form of little, segmented legs poking out of the rock for food. They don't tend to whole-body come out very often. People will buy those sometimes, so you can definitely call that a good guy. Hopefully you have more in there and they breed, or that pair is enough to get some established. I think a few species of starfish are hermaphroditic? If these aren't, you have a 50% chance of those two being a pair.

• 1 year later...