Coral Vue Hydros

RO system that adds trace elements? UV filter?

tzink

I think I know the answer here but...

Systems like this one

https://smile.amazon.com/Express-Water-Alkaline-Ultraviolet-Filtration/dp/B01NAGSZTA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ro+water+under+sink+11+stage&qid=1594279581&sr=8-4

That claim to add trace elements. Is this good? Or a waste?

Also, is having a UV filter on the RO system worthwhile?

I'm guessing the answer is no to both, but thought I'd ask...

The trace elements and antioxidants is for human consumption. Rodi water alone has nothing in it and we need minerals so this system is designed to purify the water and then replace the minerals we need.

Most hobbyists use the standard rodi with no uv or with the trace elements being added(that will effect the trace element levels in your tank)

• Like 1

All the trace elements your corals need are in your salt mix, which is, after all, derived from water. UV is to kill bacteria, and isn't needed- your water should have a perfectly reasonable amount of harmless bacteria for your tank. 

The goal of an RODI system is to get everything except the water out of your water. That way, you can rehydrate your dried seawater (i.e. salt mix), and put it in your tank. 

• Like 1
WilliamBowman

While it is true that the UV sterilizer for aquarium may not be perceived as a really necessary item that aquarium keepers have to invest in, it cannot be denied that it can provide ample perks to the overall aquarium environment. In addition, these items are, in general, operated by a UV bulb that comes with the capability to get rid of and save your aquarium from all sorts of hazardous bacteria and other unsightly microorganisms.

A UV sterilizer can be a viable tool to help against certain pests, yes. But most pests are better managed by fixing the conditions that allowed them to take hold in the first place, and most diseases are better treated with something more direct than trying to sterilize your water. You don't need a UV sterilizer unless you have certain very specific problems, so you definitely don't need one to start out.