Cultivated Reef

frogspawn flow

bigkestrel

bigkestrel

is this too much flow for it? 

i have the hydor 425 in a fluval evo 13.5. 

its right in the middle of the tank, between 2 rocks.

Cencalfishguy56
On 7/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, bigkestrel said:

this is after the powerhead is off

Flow seems a bit high to me but your frogspawn doesn’t look very puffy, and I’m not sure if your corals are all open? As stated above it could be for other reasons as well such as high nitrates and phosphates

"low" would be the problem for P, not "high"

Check this out:  Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

The hypothesis is that the OP's tank is currently sporting "HN/LP" conditions....or High Nitrate/Low Phosphate.  His frag totally looks like one of the "LP" frags pictured.

(Photo from linked article.)

image.png.3ea1b8817e72a6c5033e123c7041150f.png

You can also see from these photos that "chasing" nitrates down to zero is not the answer....those frags ("LN/LP") look just as bad.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
24 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

"low" would be the problem for P, not "high"

Check this out:  Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

The hypothesis is that the OP's tank is currently sporting "HN/LP" conditions....or High Nitrate/Low Phosphate.  His frag totally looks like one of the "LP" frags pictured.

(Photo from linked article.)

image.png.3ea1b8817e72a6c5033e123c7041150f.png

You can also see from these photos that "chasing" nitrates down to zero is not the answer....those frags ("LN/LP") look just as bad.

Makes sense, I don’t ever keep my tanks near zero, but the chart makes it helpful as a visual guide for new tanks, however long term I’ve crashed a tank with high nitrates and phosphates on top of overgrown algae lol

• Like 1