Cultivated Reef

Top off questions

second_decimal

second_decimal

I know this has been discussed many, many times before but I have 3152 and the pump already died once. It was replaced under warranty but recently it has started filling past the float valve. The float is clear with no obstructions so not sure what the problem is. I have used Tunze ATO for years without a single hiccup and I don’t really want to start dealing with a temperamental ATO now so out it goes. 

was thinking about replacing with Smart ATO. Seems pretty solid. Anyone been using one of those for a little while? 

16 hours ago, second_decimal said:

I know this has been discussed many, many times before but I have 3152 and the pump already died once. It was replaced under warranty but recently it has started filling past the float valve. The float is clear with no obstructions so not sure what the problem is. I have used Tunze ATO for years without a single hiccup and I don’t really want to start dealing with a temperamental ATO now so out it goes. 

was thinking about replacing with Smart ATO. Seems pretty solid. Anyone been using one of those for a little while? 

I'm not sure that's a logical discard without doing at least a little troubleshooting with us and/or calling Tunze.  The 3152 is a solid system, and the sensor is one of the most reliable types available anywhere – an extremely simple design.  A dead pump (that Tunze made right) doesn't change that.  👍 

How old is this 3152?

Post a few detail pics of the sensor as it's currently installed if you want to try to get some help here.  

Also, is it not shutting off at all?  Or just filling higher than it seems like it should?

If you haven't talked with Tunze yet, I'd suggest it.   

• Like 1
banasophia

I used a tunze osmolator nano (can’t remember the number) for a while and had major issues with it shutting off the power at my power strip or outlet... I thought it was an electrical problem with my house but I had an electrician come and he said it was the ATO. Can’t really remember the details, but I saw other people had reported the same thing in the reviews.

Anyway, the main reason I thought I’d chime in is that I ended up switching to using an auto-aqua smart micro ATO and I’ve been very happy with them in a couple tanks.

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro Automatic Top Off System (SATO-120P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195D3LC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WWdbFbZQSQ2M9

• Like 1
second_decimal

I bought the unit new about 8-9 months ago and the pump burned out on me once already. Roger from Tunze did replace it but i was without a top off while it was being evaluated/replaced and being shipped back and forth. now it is just over filling past the shut off float valve a little bit (maybe 1" or so?). I found a Duetto online for cheap and since it has the optical sensor i figured it hopefully was a little less finicky. i was just looking for some feedback on the Smart ATO but optical sensor experience in general. 

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

I use the XP Aqua Duetto for my waterbox 70.3.  The only issue I ever had was when my skimmer was breaking in and microbubbles messed with the sensor. I also have a second one that I used on a aio nano, absolutely no issues. In the past I used one of the first small optical sensors. I can’t remember what it was called. But I remember it advertising that it was the size of a penny. That one also worked very well. Used it on an IM10 and IM20. 

Maybe I have good luck? But I love the optical sensor atos. 

• Like 1
second_decimal
18 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I'm not sure that's a logical discard without doing at least a little troubleshooting with us and/or calling Tunze.  The 3152 is a solid system, and the sensor is one of the most reliable types available anywhere – an extremely simple design.  A dead pump (that Tunze made right) doesn't change that.  👍 

How old is this 3152?

Post a few detail pics of the sensor as it's currently installed if you want to try to get some help here.  

Also, is it not shutting off at all?  Or just filling higher than it seems like it should?

If you haven't talked with Tunze yet, I'd suggest it.   

Wait.. did you say “discard”? You’re kidding right? I can point anywhere in the reef world and with great certainty Single out that  person to show you a pile of Reef related “stuff”. We all have it. I can just take my time (probably several years) to have it repaired. 

• Haha 1