Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A New Reef Tank Hobbyist's questions

Iamdasauce

Iamdasauce

Good afternoon,

I am new to the community and I am just starting to dive into the hobby. Over the past month I have been extensively researching and learning as many things as I can to prepare myself to succeed with my first reef tank. I am hoping that someone could provide me insight on two fast questions.

1. I am planning on going with the Fusion Pro 25 Gallon AIO Lagoon Aquarium, will a single AI Prime 16 be sufficient enough for Softies and LPS? Or is it best to just go with the 32?

2. Could someone give me some recommendations for filter media? I believe it will be best to run two media baskets. I am going to hold off on a protein skimmer for now.

Thank you to anyone that is able to answer my questions. I am excited to be a part of this community,

Thanks

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Iamdasauce said:

Good afternoon,

I am new to the community and I am just starting to dive into the hobby. Over the past month I have been extensively researching and learning as many things as I can to prepare myself to succeed with my first reef tank. I am hoping that someone could provide me insight on two fast questions.

1. I am planning on going with the Fusion Pro 25 Gallon AIO Lagoon Aquarium, will a single AI Prime 16 be sufficient enough for Softies and LPS? Or is it best to just go with the 32?

2. Could someone give me some recommendations for filter media? I believe it will be best to run two media baskets. I am going to hold off on a protein skimmer for now.

Thank you to anyone that is able to answer my questions. I am excited to be a part of this community,

Thanks

1. Yep the 16 should be fine for that tank. Depending on your rock scape you might get a little shading on the sides but you can put lower light demand corals there. If anything I would start with one 16 and if you want less shadowing or more par down the road add another 16.  You will get more even spread of par with two 16s vs one 32 imo.

2. Every new hobbyist is in a hurry to throw chemicals into their tanks. I am a firm believer you dont add chemical filtration unless your tank develops a problem.  If your dead set on adding something start with a little rox carbon in a filter bag. 

Good luck, and welcome to NR. Happy reefing!!😎🤙

Oh and be sure to start a tank journal to track your process. Trust me you will be glad you did. 

• Like 1

Ya you definitely can do 1 on the tank.

I had 1 prime HD on my lagoon and added a second light. Light spread wasn't greatly different and now I have to run both lights lower(so really a waste of money)

If you were doing sps dominant I'd say 2 for sure but lps need moderate light so 1 is fine.

Filter media, I use filter floss and carbon.

Anything else should be used on a as needed basis

• Like 1
SaltyGallon

The prime will be fine but if you find yourself wanting to grow some stony stuff the 32 - or a second hand 26 - would be better! If you buy a good condition second hand unit (prime/26/32) they hold their value pretty well 🙂

Keep it simple for now - filter floss, carbon and some biomedia. A skimmer is a big help down the road depending on your bioload/feeding regime but like the previous poster said, tackle the issues as they arise, rather than overthink them from the off. I throw a small amount of GFO in with the carbon in my pico tank (for phosphate control) and I've never had any algae issues - but then the tank doesn't have any fish! See what happens in the tank and act accordingly.

• Like 2
Iamdasauce

One last question as I am trying to be positive of my back end filtration.

The IM Lagoon will come with a media basket for one side and a filter sock on the other side. Would i be fine with just the media basket on one side and a filter floss holder on the other side? I will then run filter floss/some kind of filter media in the media basket and the other side will have just filter floss, since there are two entry points.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Iamdasauce said:

One last question as I am trying to be positive of my back end filtration.

The IM Lagoon will come with a media basket for one side and a filter sock on the other side. Would i be fine with just the media basket on one side and a filter floss holder on the other side? I will then run filter floss/some kind of filter media in the media basket and the other side will have just filter floss, since there are two entry points.

Thanks!

Yes, its perfectly fine to do that.

I have 2 media baskets in both tanks, 1 basket has floss and carbon, the other side just floss.

12 hours ago, Iamdasauce said:

Thank you for your help @Clown79. Loved reading your "Dark Side of the Lagoon" thread.

You're welcome and thank you.