Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fuzziness on live rock

Beginnerreeftanker

Beginnerreeftanker

Hi everyone, I recently have reached the three week period of cycling my tank, and I have gotten a royal gramma and nassarius snail.  However, before that I have discovered a white and gray fuzz that comes out of my live rock, almost like arms.  It is almost completely covering my rock, and some of it is a light red.  Most are probably 2 millimeters in length, but some are pretty long.  Can anyone help identify this for me?  Is it bad for my tank mates? B

73ECF898-04EA-49A3-BD40-1C17120799ED.jpeg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, growsomething said:

I am no expert at reefing, but could it be hydroids?

I highly doubt it from the photos - digitate hydroids look pretty much like a single brittle-star leg hanging out in the breeze, they get pretty long, and they don't spread very rapidly. I'm not algae ID expert, but it looks like some sort of calcareous macro algae. I've had stuff that looks like the 2nd photo of the original post and if it feels like stiff paint-brush bristles, it's just a macro algae.

Definitely not dinos or cyano though.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Beginnerreeftanker said:

Ok thankyou!  What would you do to treat it?  

Nothing - it's not hurting anything. Corals should grow right over it and it'll fade away as your tank matures.

• Like 1