ReefCleaners.org

Which Inkbird?

chipz

I know from reading posts here on Nano-reef that lots of people have Inkbird temperature controllers on their tanks. I was starting to research equipment for a new build I'm working on and I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews of inkbirds online. I am also confused about which model is most appropriate for a nano reef. So which model are people using? The 306? The 308? The rebranded BRS version? Are you happy with it?

For my own situation, I don't currently plan to run a chiller or fan (tank will probably be in my basement, which runs cool) and the tank will be on my desk, so I value quiet operation.

Thrassian Atoll

The rebranded BRS version isn’t very good.  I have it hooked up with my apex and the temp fluctuates a ton compared to what the apex says.   All the recent reviews on BRS say the same. 

I just bought the 308 for my frag tank.  I haven’t tried it yet.

I use the itc308. They have a newer version with a plastic probe.

Mine have worked well, saved my tank when my cobalt heater crapped out on me. 

I ran one and wouldnt do it again. Failed on me and after researching it they fail quite a bit in the same way mine failed. Dont want something that is meant as a safeguard to actually add to my problems.  

The fact they they make one with a replaceable probe cracks me up. Thermocouples or rtds simplely should not fail in this environment . And if they do it shouldnt be for a long long time. Mine failed in a year. 

Temperature safety is important I ended up going with a used apex. If I didnt go that route I would have probably replaced the inkbird with a finnex temp controller..

• Like 1

I have the Inkbird 308S.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R195CQF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4UnaFbJBNMSN5 It has worked well for me and even woke me in the night going off.   As an added safety measure against human or equipment error my heater also contains an adjustable thermostat.  I also didn't need the cooling feature but for the extra $3 I liked having the ability to hook up a fan if the AC ever went out.  

• Like 2