SaltCritters.com

How healthy is this clownfish?

Frag Factory

Frag Factory

Hey all,

I picked up this clownfish at the weekend, it seems to have settled in well. It's eating a lot... But to me it looks a bit under the weather.

I'm not talking about fin damage (my other clown is bickering with it, nothing unusual for clowns) but I'm slightly concerned about:

• It looks thin (but is eating)
  • There's a white shadow/slime between it's first and second stripe, almost like the start of brooklynella
  • The clown seems a little subdued like it's sad (but again, normal clownfish stuff...)
  • It's breathing a little fast

Would you be concerned? I have quarantine supplies on hand, should I treat it anyway?

cf3a2afc480a8be4f34ed2c244859c54.jpg.a3884f5972e1097843371f1da2f80935.jpg

9cc697477e6a40e48c3bba7037f38339.thumb.jpg.f914f1a81b4767671864ef0f38a75827.jpg76df31f6cbb7755e33f4d3119b064d53.jpg.acabbd42253ac33f1570948971e7d354.jpg

f3009b985afdb68bbb91c35de42217a0.jpg.a141e7b7bfc90a2e8bbb359e534b0247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Frag Factory

Thank you for the replies fellas, I ended up taking it back to my LFS. It's in his QT system now getting treated for Brook (some others in the batch also had it).

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Thank you for the replies fellas, I ended up taking it back to my LFS. It's in his QT system now getting treated for Brook (some others in the batch also had it).

Was it the only fish in your DT or do you have others?

• Like 1
Frag Factory
4 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Was it the only fish in your DT or do you have others?

I had two clownfish and a blenny, I kept the blenny. It's had a formalin bath and went into a 2nd fishless nano for observation. It seems to be healthy but will be going through copper as soon as my QT cycles.

I have since spent 2 weeks reading your various threads, forums and other information. I've also imported a bunch of meds from the USA and lied to a doctor about a holiday to honduras in order to build a proper QT system at home.

I'm not messing about with this gambling drop and pray thing anymore 😇

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I had two clownfish and a blenny, I kept the blenny. It's had a formalin bath and went into a 2nd fishless nano for observation. It seems to be healthy but will be going through copper as soon as my QT cycles.

I have since spent 2 weeks reading your various threads, forums and other information. I've also imported a bunch of meds from the USA and lied to a doctor about a holiday to honduras in order to build a proper QT system at home.

I'm not messing about with this gambling drop and pray thing anymore 😇

Sounds good. 👍 Just make sure to go fallow (fishless) for at least 6 weeks in the tank the clown with Brook was in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He pretty much just looks like he's been beat up a lot recently, probably kept away from food. You see that sort of thing in the more aggressive fish species sometimes, since they're kept in groups in LFS tanks.