Top Shelf Aquatics

Raw

Jay lew

Brand new to saltwater. I got a 55gal tank. I don’t wanna run with a sump tank maybe in be dining room. What’s my best option with HOB? I’m doing a reef tank. Starting with all dry rock. (Internet loves the aquamaxx 1.5). 

The first question would be what your plans for the hob would be for.  What are you looking to run, what sort of animals do you want to keep, whats your budget like, etc.  

Sums when ran correctly are usually quieter than the splash of hob filters, also.  Just to keep in mind. 

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

You could probably even get away without a protein skimmer.  Really good flow, and a HOB filter (running filter floss and activated carbon), and diligent maintenance would likely be enough.

• Like 1

Welcome to nano

My first reef tank was a 55g and sumpless.

I ran mine with an hob using filter floss changed weekly(more if needed) and carbon.

I also ran a hang on skimmer(back in those days it was considered an absolute need) but if you do regular maintenance the skimmer could be skipped. I'd wait and see if you need one, it can be added at any time.

If you're looking for a great hob filter, check out the Seachem Tidal. Does an awesome job and has a surface skimmer.

• Like 1