Break

AI Prime Settings for Pico Tanks

Break

I've used an AI Prime over my pico tanks for the last 4-5 years, but have never felt like I've gotten the intensity or spectrum settings dialed in just right. Unfortunately, I have the older AI Prime and not the AI Prime HD, so I have a bit less granular control over the settings. Of course, they announced the HD right after I finally pulled the trigger on the original AI Prime😒

Tank is the 4.1g pico in my signature. Light is 11" above the water's surface. Water runs to a depth of 8.5" I do not have a PAR meter lying about, unfortunately, and I'm not going to be renting one anytime soon. I used to run the light at higher intensities when the tank housed SPS, but now that the tank will be mostly zoas, gonis and gorgs, my lightning requirements are less. Much more worried about color than growth. 

Spectrum is currently a lazy version of the BRS recommendations and I'm happy enough with it. But, can I get away with turning the lights up more over time? Do I really need to? Or instead of adjusting the output, should I simply shorten the ramp-up time and increase the full-intensity photo-period to 8 hours from 6?

I know some of these answers will only come after observing the tank and inhabitants over time, but I would love to hear from you all. What are the current settings on your AI Prime or AI Prime HD? How has your experiences with AI Primes over picos been like? Any cases of overdoing it with the lightning? If so, were you able to ramp up over time to higher outputs over time?

spacer.png

The light ramps up between 9am and 12pm.

It runs at peak power from 12pm-6pm.

Then it ramps back down fro 6pm-9pm

1527686630_AIPrimeSchedule.thumb.PNG.1b7763ced4180eb1abb52e8ec91f22c7.PNG

Clown79

The settings seem about right for softies, Lps, and some easier sps.

• Like 2

Break
On 6/30/2020 at 3:26 PM, Clown79 said:

The settings seem about right for softies, Lps, and some easier sps.

Right on, that's what I'm aiming for.

I finally stopped be lazy and adjusted the AI Prime lighting schedule to have peaks and valleys during the main photoperiod. I added peaks every other hour and shortened the sunset ramp down by an hour. Looking at most folks tanks with these David Saxby-style "respite periods" the frequency seems to be to have the lights peak every hour, but I feel comfortable with this at the moment.

911041704_AIPrimeSchedule2.thumb.JPG.a268d1beb5ec6fd5d6584dfcee4e95f7.JPGod.

I left the current intensity as the peak setting.

641202338_AIPrimeIntensity2.thumb.JPG.0d47683bb3180e5adbd0cde930ab625e.JPG

And set this as the valley output.

833980322_AIPrimeIntensity2a.JPG.ff071145d683265f54efde9dada958e7.JPG