Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Controller?

LB_Reef002

InkBird or Ranco for heaters.

Sadly not much to choose from these days for cheaper controllers. ReefKeeper is gone which definitely left a void. 

Apex and GHL Profilux are the big boys.

I hardly hear anything about Seneye, people seem to buy them for the par meter but not as an actual controller. I think they are more about monitoring and not about controlling things.

Reef-pi for those that like to DIY and build their own controller.

Buying a used Apex Jr and Lite can be an affordable way to get a controller if you don't need the newer integration with DOS or Trident. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, acro226 said:

Whats the best aquarium controller for a nano tank?

That's a very subjective question. What do you mean by "best"? It really depends on the tank and what you're looking to do with it. What are the tank's needs? What are you planning to automate? If you aren't looking automate dosing, water changes, feeding, ATO, etc. then you can probably get away with just a heater, a fan/chiller and an Inkbird.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

InkBird or Ranco for heaters.

Sadly not much to choose from these days for cheaper controllers. ReefKeeper is gone which definitely left a void. 

Apex and GHL Profilux are the big boys.

I hardly hear anything about Seneye, people seem to buy them for the par meter but not as an actual controller. I think they are more about monitoring and not about controlling things.

Reef-pi for those that like to DIY and build their own controller.

Buying a used Apex Jr and Lite can be an affordable way to get a controller if you don't need the newer integration with DOS or Trident. 

Started with an Aqua Jr back in 2008. Still using an Aqua Jr. today, though it's the newer model (I do not miss entering lines of code on those old tiny displays!). I don't feel the need to upgrade given my tank is a pico. Buying a used one of these would be my recommendation. Reef-pi is a very affordable option, if you don't mind tinkering a bit.

Honestly, it's really disappointing to see Neptune pushing everyone to their new, grossly-overpriced premium model with no reasonable in-between option for smaller tanks; it feels like they are abandoning all of their Aqua Jr customers. I've had one since 2008 - what the hell Neptune!?

It also doesn't help that the design of the new model is hideous to boot. Neon orange and glossy silver? Really!? I don't know about you all, but I'm not trying to draw attention to my power strips.

You'd think with nano-reefing being more popular these days that we'd have more options, especially given the lowered cost of (some) computing components in recent years - I just don't understand how a simple controller is the price of a high-end smartphone or laptop. Paying for marketing, branding, and the software I suppose. Or maybe it's that neon orange paint.

• Like 2