Coral Vue Hydros

too many fishes???

brusinn

i'll try to get one, but she's not doing so hot right now. my maroon clown started bullying her a couple weeks ago after living together for months with no problem... and she hasn't been the same since. i put her in my fuge to get her eating again, but she keeps spitting everything back out. i don't know what else i should do. tomorrow i'll go get some bloodworms like you said... we'll see if it helps.

How big is the wrasse? You may want to get some Garlic Extreme (kinda expensive stuff but it may work) which can promote a good appetite in your fish. Do you have a lot of pods in your fuge? As I last recalled, any sand burrowing wrasse will eat pods.

the wrasse is about 3.5" long. already tried the garlic, and she's even stopped eating pods. i think this is the end... i feel really bad. she was my favorite fish.

Hahaha. this is funny. It's almost as if we treat him like he has the plague because his tank is 45g. I'm glad I have 3 tanks (one of which is 75g for my 3 tangs... ) but I'm always careful to ask my questions about my 2.5 or 25 g.. ;)

Originally posted by cadesun

is there any way i could tell if she had a parasite?

Cool wrasse. However, its color may make it hard for you to check for parasites. I'd say look for 'warts' under the skin, bumps are a good indicator of parasites.

she's still alive, but not doing well at all. i looked for lesions, bumps, warts, ect. and couldn't find any. she's now in my sister's refugium because it has even more pods than mine, but the wrasse doesn't even seem interested anymore. i am still debating if moving her was a good idea, but i was pretty much out of ideas. supposedly she ate a couple small pieces of mosquito larvae yesterday, but that's all. still laying on her side alot, and swimming around occasionally.

I'd say try not to move her anymore. She may be stressed out. The only thing I can suggest is to continue trying different selection of foods. I wonder how old your fish is?

hahaha! i feel like a nerd surfing here so much, but i'm getting paid for it! i work for northwest airlines so i get to play on the internet between flights. anyways, i know what you're saying about the moving thing, probably was a bad idea. i researched whitespotted wrasses when i bought her and they said the max size was 5". mine is probably 3.5", so i wouldn't think it would be old age. i tried the bloodworms like you suggested, but with no luck. my sister is trying to feed her several times per day, but i think it's pretty much out of our control. hopefully she turns around, but i am beginning to doubt it.

well, she finally gave up yesterday. i was pretty bummed. i just can't figure out what happened. it was probably my favorite fish thus far, but i'm not sure if i want to attempt another high-maintenance wrasse for a while. thanks for all your help and advice though!

You definitely can not keep the tangs in there. All tangs require a lot of swimming room. I belive that tangs should not be kept in tanks smaller than 90 gallons. Your scopas can reach a length of 12in while your regal tang can reach about the same size in an approiate size tank. You may also have a compatability issue with the two tangs in that small of space anyway.

regal --

wrong thread bud

duke --

how's you potter's doing? i was thinking about one (definitely in the future). do most accept prepared food, or is yours a rarity?

Originally posted by cadesun

duke --  

how's you potter's doing?  i was thinking about one (definitely in the future).  do most accept prepared food, or is yours a rarity?

My wrasse is doing awesome.

From what I've read and from what a lot of people have stated, my wrasse is supposed to be a high maintenance fish that's hard to keep in a home aquarium. Maybe I'm just really lucky but my wrasse is the easiest fish to care for. He ate like a pig from day one and is the most docile wrasse you'll ever see. He has never harmed a soul in my tank and I've even seen him swim by my clownfish and rub up against it in a friendly manner. Food wise, he won't eat flake. However, anything meaty is game for him. I've even seen him eat shrimp pellets that I occasionally drop for my inverts. Cadesun, do some more research to see if I'm just lucky with this fish. I'm sorry to hear about your wrasse and I would hate to see the same thing happen to you again.

If you do decide to get one, it'll definitely be your 'prized' fish. I absolutely love my wrasse.

yeah, i did read up som more on the potter's, and it seems that you are just extremely lucky that it eats prepared so readily. that's awesome your's is doing so well, but i don't think i want to press my luck at this point. i have heard of people keeping them in pairs or even harems, have you ever thought of doing that?

I would love to do that but I'm at my tank's max bioload. I'd have to get rid of some fish and the wife will definitely not allow that.

Now when you did your research, did you actually read many testimonials from people who have had a Potter's? I know every single description of this fish from online stores say they're very hard to keep but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been as lucky as I am.

hmmm, you bring up a very good point! all the descriptions that i have read were just scientific or retail info sheets. i can't remember reading any testimonials, something to look for...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived